Help I'm a newbie

hdeason

Arachnopeon
I have 2 Aphonopelma sp. One of them, the smaller one has flipped onto his back and nothing is happening. He has been on his back since about 10am and it is 7pm. I'm a bit concerned. He has one leg straight out and the rest were curled but are no longer. Any advice????

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's on it's back it is probably molting. DO NOT touch it, even if it takes a long time. Let it be for now and we will see what happens! Good luck!

kjm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remember when I got my first T and the first time it molted. I freaked out as well; I actually thought it was dead at first.

Good luck to you!!!! :)

hdeason

Arachnopeon
He hasn't moved at all.............his abdomen is deflated..........I think he is dead :(

kingston

Arachnopeon
no extra movement or something that can tell its alive?
post a pic so we could see

losct2381

Arachnosquire
That actually looks like it molted already look around in corners or under stuff see if u find anything else could be it molted and hid and u didn't notice it try to take a better pic of the abdomen if it's still their if its not then the t is probably already molted and hiding.

hdeason

Arachnopeon
I looked all over the enclosure to see if he had molted already, no bueno!

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

FYI, the cricket in the photos is dead. Otherwise I would have freaked out!!

Murq

Arachnopeon
You should maybe take that cricet out of there? It might start eating your T...

malhomme

Arachnopeon
It is starting to smell some, like when he is done with mice.
A lot of people think that feeding vertebrate prey to tarantulas will cause bad molts b/c of too much fat and calcium. Just something to consider if he has died during a molt. :-(

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Damn man just wait another 24 if nothing I say it's dead. That's rare for them to die on their backs. Usually they curl up into a ball while right side up. But if it starts to smell bad or is smelling bad already it prob dead

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Damn man just wait another 24 if nothing I say it's dead. That's rare for them to die on their backs. Usually they curl up into a ball while right side up. But if it starts to smell bad or is smelling bad already it prob dead

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, but I agree wait another 24 hours to make sure. I had a T die before it even started molting. Found it hanging upside down (I would assume it was going to molt, it was an avic) and it just stayed upside down for days and never moved again, I guess somtimes they can just randomly die from a molt, it happens:(.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Looks like a MM trying to molt again. I see a hook in the third pic. If he is mature then he has a very slim chance. Sorry.:(