Help Id'ing

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my housband found this lil guy while trying to find the property line between my parents property and the property thay are selling us, ive never seen a tortoise like this before out hear. ive seen small ones and a huge one but nothing with markings like this.

Last edited:

sn95

Arachnopeon
three toed box turtle-Terrapene carolina triunguis is what it looks like to me. I used to have one my dad saved from some dogs when I was little. I don't know much about there care.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this from animal-world.com/encyclo. Its a pretty good, short captive care sheet.

Eastern box turtles are omnivores and feed on a huge variety of food in the wild. In captivity, they are especially fond of live food such as earthworms, superworms, redworms, wax worms, crickets, pink mice, and even goldfish.
In addition to this large variety of live foods, you can offer chopped fruits and vegetables. Finely grated dark green veggies such as lettuces and kale, and fruits such as melons, berries, cantaloupe, are also accepted (though not eagerly) once or twice a week.
They will eat MAZURI ® Tortoise Diet and high-quality canned cat food (beef, chicken, turkey, etc.), but this should only be a small part of their overall diet. Many keepers choose not to feed cat food as it is high in fat and protein which can lead to obesity and shell deformities.
It is important that these turtles always have access to clean water. A plastic paint tray, large plant saucer, or shallow cat litter pan is placed inside to create a water area. (The plastic paint tray is sloped and so provides a grade that even the smaller turtles can use to get out of the water.) The water in the tray or tub will need to be changed often as the box turtles will soak and defecate in it regularly.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Vampire terrapin

WTH? I thought you were just messin' with us, using temporary paint.

Those markings are uncanny and make that beast look almost menacing.

Cool.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you, it was cought wild, we released it back where we found it, the markings i loved because from the front thay almost look like snake fangs. i released it because i did not know what it was or how to care for it, better it survive in its naatural habbitat than me accedently killing it from ignorance.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ill do more research on them because my husband wants one, gotta find out habbitat, tank size, feeding scedual, ect,ect

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those facial markings are remarkable, and make me wonder if some populations are evolving this as a means of scaring the daylights out of potential predators. I know that most animals would probably freak at the sight of those immense "fangs"!

pitbulllady

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My cat sure was scared of it, the turtle was a whimp tho, never once tryed to bite us, its "fight or flight" mode was set to "flight"