Help identifying Amblypygids.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Just got in a small order of some Amblypygids, they were supposed to be all Damon variegatus but I believe at least 2 of these are different species and I was wondering if anyone here knew what they may be.

almost forgot to add the sixth specimen

Attachments

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
It's almost certainly not variegatus. Last picture looks like Damon medius to me.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Damn, that was actually one of the ones I believed to be variegatus.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
The third one I’m 99% sure it’s Paraphrynus raptator

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
First, it is not really ideal to ID amblypygids from photos like this.

The only one I can be 100% certain about is Phrynus whitei in the second picture.
You might be right about the third one. A paraphrynus, maybe P. raptator.
The rest look like different variations of Phrynus whitei to me, but that would be a very wild guess. The one in the first picture is a guaranteed male of either P. whitei or P. maesi. The ones in pics 4,5,6 look like females.

Needless to say, there are no Damon here.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
If the locale is indeed correct they should all ve Phrynus sp nicaragua(not sure on whitei or maesi yet) and that middle one is paraphrynus laevifrons(the brownish one). Are you able to sex it out? I’ve been meaning to find my male a female

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
If the locale is indeed correct they should all ve Phrynus sp nicaragua(not sure on whitei or maesi yet) and that middle one is paraphrynus laevifrons(the brownish one). Are you able to sex it out? I’ve been meaning to find my male a female
can’t say I know how to sex them, only been able to sex Damon species. I’ll try to research if I can sex them.

I didn’t realize it would be so difficult to ID these guys, I tried googling pics of P. Laevifrons but most of the pictures are varied. I saw maybe 2 pictures that look identical. But the raptator also looks very similar.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
if you got yours from tarantulaspiders like me, I just got 4 more supposed whitei which look nothing like my first batch... he might be mislabeling them on accident as all whitei when in fact hes mixing in maesi

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
if you got yours from tarantulaspiders like me, I just got 4 more supposed whitei which look nothing like my first batch... he might be mislabeling them on accident as all whitei when in fact hes mixing in maesi
Do you have a photo of them? Maesi and whitei look almost identical, with the only notable difference being the spermethecae

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Seconding this, brown one looks like a Laevifrons to me.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
I managed to confirm that they are all indeed from Nicaragua.