Help Identify what this is on my A. australis side?

Sstump

Arachnopeon
Ok so I just got this little fella Sunday if you could please take a look at it side. sadly I didn't notice till the ride home. I thought it could have been a part of the shit substrate it was in when I got it. But when I saw it I knew it was something to keep an eye on. Well sadly wasn't part of the substrate and I got a better look at it and some pictures cuz I was getting pictures for a previous post. Oh and there a black spot on it bottom too!? Anyone have any idea what it could be and is it something I should be worried about? The side seems to be like a lump?.
20210121_160341.jpg 20210121_160322.jpg 20210121_155851.jpg 20210121_155816.jpg 20210121_155804.jpg 20210121_155508.jpg

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Could be mycosis or it can be an old injury. If it is mycosis keep this scorpion very dry. That third left booklung either suffered a nasty injury or it is showing signs of mycosis rot.

Mycosis on the booklungs (or pectines) is not a good sign and usually fatal. Keep us updated in this thread in the coming weeks or even months if these black marks begin advancing or multiplying then it is mycosis. If it stays the same it can still be mycosis but you have ceased its advancement or it is injury scars.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Idk I did get it from a reptile show.
Yeah without giving it a quick and thorough lookover and even then you can't see its underbelly. This is also a danger with ordering wild caught scorpions online unless the dealer cherry picks them. Young instars have higher tolerance for moisture and humidity spikes. In fact it is actually beneficial to them for molting while in premolt. Hoping it's just a scar but highly unlikely and the mark by the booklung resembles mycosis rot. Just keep it dry.

Sstump

Arachnopeon
Could be mycosis or it can be an old injury. If it is mycosis keep this scorpion very dry. That third left booklung either suffered a nasty injury or it is showing signs of mycosis rot.

Mycosis on the booklungs (or pectines) is not a good sign and usually fatal. Keep us updated in this thread in the coming weeks or even months if these black marks begin advancing or multiplying then it is mycosis. If it stays the same it can still be mycosis but you have ceased its advancement or it is injury scars.
Yeah this is something I will differently be keeping my eye on and I can keep this thread updated. I hoping it and injury! But for the chance of mycosis, I will definitely begin the "treatment" as in making sure it in a dry enclosure!

Sstump

Arachnopeon
Do you remember if the substrate it came with was damp or wet ?
It's was in shitty substrate that for this kinda of scorpion that for sure even my deathstaker was in the same kinda of substrate. But I was dry! As you can see in these pics 20210117_125622.jpg 20210117_125607.jpg 20210117_145722.jpg 20210117_145749.jpg

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince

Sstump

Arachnopeon
Terrible substrate to keep arid species on because wood chips can raise the RH level even while dry. They should be on sand maybe mixed with alittle completely dried out cocofiber.
I 100% agree! Even if I would have noticed thing on its side I still would have taken it! I just would have questions the hell out of the guy more if I noticed what was on its side! But like I said I still would have taken it! They for sure needed and deserver better substrate! But said in my other post for my deathstaker I was look for a much younger one but I gladly settled an adult to give it a better home! And same goes for this Androctonus. If I see people I got this two scorpion from there next month I going to say something for sure!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I 100% agree! Even if I would have noticed thing on its side I still would have taken it! I just would have questions the hell out of the guy more if I noticed what was on its side! But like I said I still would have taken it! They for sure needed and deserver better substrate! But said in my other post for my deathstaker I was look for a much younger one but I gladly settled an adult to give it a better home! And same goes for this Androctonus. If I see people I got this two scorpion from there next month I going to say something for sure!
Yes, you got two beautiful specimens and guess what your australis isn't an adult yet. Once it molts that black mark is going to be gone forever. If it mycosis that will be gone too. You may want to take a pic of the exuvia's (molt) pectines so you can sex it and then toss it in the trash.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
you should also increase ventilation as well.
Good point always keep semi-arid and arid species well ventilated. With younger instars especially during premolt when you give a corner or side/back panel a quick mist you want the moisture to evaporate quick but also provide a spike in the RH and minimalize as much as possible getting the substrate wet. Never cut off any ventilation on species of scorpions from these habitats.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
I just bore holes in container lids. is mesh better or do the holes work? I did look for some mesh for my insect's ventilation, but the bull ant can possibly cut through weaker steel mesh (somehow, she most definitely can chew through plastic mesh.) and ants fit through it.