Help ID Xenesthis

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Let's see if the Xenesthis experts can help out here.

So back in the day, I had a Xenesthis sp. Blue . She was a younger animal but she was visibly blue. Here, I have found a crappy photo from back in the day:

Recently I got another one, this one is an adult from a friend. She was labeled as sp. Blue but not much blue on her. She was coming close to a molt so I didn't bother much but here is how she looks like 3 days after her molt:

This is a cell phone photo with flash, I will take a better one with my Cannon when she is fully hardened and I can take her out.

What do you guys think?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
You're going to have a hard time with this. I have a X. intermedia but it's a bit small. However, it does look like it could be an X. intermedia but it could be an X. sp. blue or sp. black fire.

@Philth

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Also, in Europe, there are a lot more localities than the ones in the US so it might get a bit more tricky there.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Xenesthis sp. blue has much more purple on the starburst pattern like this photo. ID'ing it past that is pretty much impossible. It's likely in the intermedia, immanis, sp."white" group though.

Later, Tom

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the second picture is a good visible scopula on the prolateral side of the metatarsus IV. In X. intermadia and X. sp WHITE there is only a reduced scopula there (in apical third) , just visible from a ventral view.
So there is a good chance, it could be X. sp. BLUE

For further support / information you can ask Martin Hüsser or me via the swiss forum.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry. But i´m not willing to expand any forum, facebook group or something else.

if i say "support" it means the possibility of a examination and no further guessing based on photos.
it means also, it is easier for me to write and explain in german.

I shared my informations about Xenesthis for everybody who is willing, to read or translate german, in the Arthropoda Popularis 1/2 2015.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let's see if the Xenesthis experts can help out here.

So back in the day, I had a Xenesthis sp. Blue . She was a younger animal but she was visibly blue. Here, I have found a crappy photo from back in the day:

Recently I got another one, this one is an adult from a friend. She was labeled as sp. Blue but not much blue on her. She was coming close to a molt so I didn't bother much but here is how she looks like 3 days after her molt:

This is a cell phone photo with flash, I will take a better one with my Cannon when she is fully hardened and I can take her out.

What do you guys think?
Take your spider outside in a shaded area and take a nice clean photo of it. Most importantly don't use a flash on your camera, using a flash would make the color on the carapace of the Xenesthis species appear different than what it really is.

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Label it Xenesthis sp. and leave it as that. You can't ID it properly without locality data or examination of a dead specimen.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Some useful info, thanks.

Again, I will take a proper photo when I feel the spider is ready for it.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I was bombarded with hair today trying to coax her out of her terrarium but managed to take some photos. Natural light, no flash.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The photo of your spider is more natural looking than before I see the change of the color on the carapace with a flash camera than without the flash, but to get a better look of your spider is with no direct sunlight, in a shaded area and no flash.

Good looking spider.