help ID Scorpion!!!!!

SCiFiRE

Arachnopeon
Ive been bought a scorpion for my birthday and i am urgently trying to find out what kind it is and how to look after it.

I have a photo uploaded here :
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl?photo=77069

urgent!!!
I need to get a better enclosure. Right now it is very tiny and not much substrate (and the substrate i have i dont even know what that is!) I have a small dish with water(and cotton wool so he doesnt fall in) which ive recently found out is probably bad, for bacteria reasons.

And i need to know temperatures and humidity to keep the enclosure at... so far ive kept the room the enclosure is in at about 75oF(24oC)

Ive been feeding him mealworms, i was told they might be fattening and to try to feed him small crickets aswell.

Anyway, any help would be fantastic!!
thanx in advance
-JP

Edit:
Found an Australian Scorpion site!
This is Urodacus yaschenkoi
Australian Desert Scorpion.,
But i still need to know how to keep it....

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I actualy have already had an opportunity to help someone from Australia with this species. I did a bit of research into their natural environment etc. and have come to the conclusion that they should be kept like Opistophthalmus. A care sheet for this species can be found here.

In short, deep substrate is key. Also, some sort of supplemental heating is necessary. A light at one end of the enclosure can be used, or a heating mat on the side of the enclosure (not the bottom). As for the cricket/mealworm question, it is good to provide a varried diet anyways, but there is no problem using mealworms as a staple. Just be sure that the mealworms are eating something nutritious.

Cheers,
Dave

magoozal

Arachnopeon
hey!!! im from geelong, and got the same scorp! hehe had him (think its a him) since july! hehehe

hope its all going good for you.
where did you get him from? what do u keep it in now?
where do you get crickets from?