Help I think my scorpion is gravid and I don't know what to do???

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok first off. I do not keep scorpions but will do it if one ends up in my hands. I bought what I thought was 25 tarantulas from craigslist from a lady who didn't know much because her fiance left her. When I was going through everything I found a FAT scorpion. They didn't feed their animals all that well and manged to kill another scorpion I seen there. Pics won't upload now but she got fatter and she will not eat for me. So I assume she is gravid. What do I need to know about them and what do I do with the babies. Also can anyone tell me what she is
Thanks,
Kyle

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The babies will live with the mother until they molt, then they will want their own space.

How large is the enclosure/tank? you will probably want to spilt them up after they molt (into smaller groups)

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks Gravid :)
You should see her now. I hope she haves her babies before she explodes......
The babies will live with the mother until they molt, then they will want their own space.

How large is the enclosure/tank? you will probably want to spilt them up after they molt (into smaller groups)
SHe is in a KK. Alright I will split them up.

EDIT: Can this be what she is or will I never know and have to call the opistophthalmus sp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opistophthalmus_boehmi

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guessing Opistophthalmus sp. If it is gravid the best thing is to stress her as little as possible. I don't know much about the care requirments for them, I havn't kept this genus.

John

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doesn't look mature to me, I see stronger, bigger looking chela in adult Opistophthalmus, but I don't really know for sure.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Doesn't look mature to me, I see stronger, bigger looking chela in adult Opistophthalmus, but I don't really know for sure.
I don't know much about scorpions but since she isn't eating and shes getting fatter. My only though is gravid

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely Opistophthalmus sp. Does not look mature at all. They are similar to Hadrurus arizonensis in which they need/prefer a burrow to molt in. If it has stopped eating, I would provide it with 5-6 inches of cocoa fiber substrate to let it burrow a chamber to molt.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has a lot of bedding. There looks like there was burrows at one time but she just hinds under her cork bark. I got the pics to upload.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dear Gods that is one large scorpion ready to pop anytime. Look how the dorsal nerve cord is being pushed up, it shows really clearly.

Hope the delivery goes fine!!