Help!! I think I killed my daughter's B. Albo

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Yes, I am.
But I am NOT refusing to Make the cage Safe for my Girl. She isnt a rock, She Moves around quite a bit, She has everything she needs, and uses it. Why bother? I have the space for it.

Clear enough?
Does your T climb the cage alot or just do alot of wondering around? That would be alot of substrate to fill the cage up. :D

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We use coir, but often just sift it through a colander. Gets rid of the big chunks and fibers. When sifted, it seems to hold together a bit better too.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Does your T climb the cage alot or just do alot of wondering around? That would be alot of substrate to fill the cage up. :D
She goes from her moss, to the side of the cage right next to the moss, usually one foot still touching. (though she's missing a leg so that might have to do with it)
Other times i'll find her huddled next to her water dish (which is usually in the corner of the cage) or on her log and sometimes in her log.

She's got quite the agenda. Yesterday I caught her near the top trying to escape, so after I submit this it's off to go t-proof her cage =P

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
She goes from her moss, to the side of the cage right next to the moss, usually one foot still touching. (though she's missing a leg so that might have to do with it)
Other times i'll find her huddled next to her water dish (which is usually in the corner of the cage) or on her log and sometimes in her log.

She's got quite the agenda. Yesterday I caught her near the top trying to escape, so after I submit this it's off to go t-proof her cage =P
She might be looking for "home". Im curious to know if your keeping the substrate dry. But rosea will always have a differing odd behavior. There is no such thing as a typical G. rosea! {D

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
She might be looking for "home". Im curious to know if your keeping the substrate dry. But rosea will always have a differing odd behavior. There is no such thing as a typical G. rosea! {D
Prior to the First tank re-vamp It had been Kept Damp, That was before I found the boards, I would Just pour water in..
After I re-did It I Kept it Half/half (one side being dryer than the other)

Now it's Dry, And I mist the cage every once and a while

Last edited:

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This wonderful community has given you so much good advice here! I can only offer a brief glimpse of my dilemma when I unexpectedly received a 1/4" sling, B. albo. as a freebie with the purchase of another sling, for which I was prepared. I already had a bag of Eco Earth that I had run through a seive. Threw a handful in a bowl, added water to moisten and transferred it to an empty jam jar, approx. 2" dia. by 4" hi. Went screaming into the garage to locate hammer and a nail for poking holes in the metal lid. Actually remembered to poke from the inside to outside to keep underside of lid smooth. Added sling, screwed on lid and then started shaking. By the next morning that little stinker had burrowed down to the bottom of the jar where he continued moving dirt around until it suited. Kept substrate damp and added a mashed cricket leg a couple of times a week and kept thinking that any morning now, it will be dead. I didn't begin to relax until it had molted a couple of times. Several things I learned from this are: 1. Worrying solves nothing. 2. Learn, learn, learn so when s*** happens, you can deal with it.
3. Be gentle with yourself, and know that this Forum is always here for you.

Enjoy yourself! These are bugs that we love, not rocket science ;)

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, You are extremely rude.
If you would have read that post, I Completely Re-vamped her cage.
And that has nothing to do with anything posted in THIS thread.

Op-I wish you the best.
It was not rude.... you were giving bad advice (i.e. waterbowl for your sling). As others said, your advice will get someones T killed. So, yes, unfortunately for you, it does have to do with this thread.

I will tell you as I have told others... Put the keyboard down and use your mouse more to read. It will help you in the long run.

Joe

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
It was not rude.... you were giving bad advice (i.e. waterbowl for your sling). As others said, your advice will get someones T killed. So, yes, unfortunately for you, it does have to do with this thread.

I will tell you as I have told others... Put the keyboard down and use your mouse more to read. It will help you in the long run.

Joe
I *ALSO* said, to add rocks to the water dish, to prevent drowning.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There would still be a risk even with the rocks. If you put the rocks in, there will still be crevices between them that a sling could slip into. A sling will do fine without the dish. This is a proven fact that they will survive without a dish. Once they reach about 2.5" to 3" then I say put the dish in, but until then keep it out.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
There would still be a risk even with the rocks. If you put the rocks in, there will still be crevices between them that a sling could slip into. A sling will do fine without the dish. This is a proven fact that they will survive without a dish. Once they reach about 2.5" to 3" then I say put the dish in, but until then keep it out.
I know, Was simply clearing up what he thought I said.

Your name explains how I feel about you.

=P

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heck, even then they don't *have* to have one if you mist. My P. murinus webbed his into the abyss & my Avic. sp. has repeatedly filled her bowl with substrate. So one get a little misting & one gets more :D

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
@JRGreen... consider starting with some specimens that are larger than slings. They are easier to care for and appreciate their beauty. When you know how to care for an adult then you can work your way down.

Anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that:
Wachusaynoob= AviculariaMan???

Pretty close eh Joe?

JRGreen

Arachnopeon
Zelda is gone

The mold forming on Zelda's body is, I think, an indication that Zelda is terminally inconvenienced. My daughter is sad, but the promise of a replacement helps. My son is excited, as now he is getting one, too. Man, from 0 to 3 Ts in 1 month.

Making a few changes to living arrangements to ensure safety, and probably changing up feeding as well. So far, my G. pulchra is doing fine, so I am still unsure of exactly happened.

Thank you all for your assistance. I hope the next time I post, it is a bit happier news…
Take care!
Jorin

JRGreen

Arachnopeon
I won't be doing a .25" again. Will probably do a sling, but a late stage sling this time for both children's new pets.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your pulchra and the new ones you get. Losing a T is sad :( but getting more is always good :D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'm sorry for your loss. It's always sad to lose a pet.:(

But I'm happy that your children each get a tarantula. It's a great thing for kids. That way they don't grow up with the all too common irrational fear of all spiders. :D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Clarifying wrong info with different wrong info. Makes all the difference! Thanks for clearing that up.

Hey Jorin,

I'm sending you a PM.

Joe

Last edited: