Help!! I think I killed my daughter's B. Albo

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, it looks to me like that sling isn't molting, it's dying or dead. The legs are pulled back opposite to how they would be oriented if it were molting. I think there is some toxin at play here and the T is suffering a complete failure of motor function and/or internal pressure. I recall a recent post where somebody's T did this exact same thing and eventually died. It could be tied to pesticides used in the house or accidentally transferred from other pets. It could be related to the cricket virus going around that "may or may not" have an affect on arachnids. It could be some parasite or pathogen. It could be a lot of things.

Sory for your luck but I don't predict a positive outcome. The best thing to do is ICU and hope for the best. Good luck.

Oh and by the way Wachusaynoob, you do NOT have the necessary knowledge base to be dispensing any advice about keeping arachnids. You need to stop posting "advice" and start reading. Your "help" is going to get somebody's pet killed.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a little B.albopilosum sling about that size. I already have an adult female and male. I'd give you it if you were closer. Paying the huge shipping price wouldnt really be worth it for a B.albo sling :/

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I agree, a T that size could drown. I mist all of mine that are that small.
Just pore some water in the one corner! and add a little heat! that will cause water droplets on the one side, thats where they drink! dont have to mist! i take care of about 1200 spiders that size at any one time! and that works perfect!

Ps- i agree with moltar's last post! sorry bud!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just pore some water in the one corner! and add a little heat! that will cause water droplets on the one side, thats where they drink! dont have to mist! i take care of about 1200 spiders that size at any one time! and that works perfect!

Ps- i agree with moltar's last post! sorry bud!
Misting is not only faster, but reduces the risk of cooking the spider by adding heat.

JRGreen

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for helping in this. On the one hand, I feel like such a noob… on the other, I feel like I am getting somewhere, and the debates have generally been stuff I was aware of.

In reviewing Zelda's enclosure, humidity was good. Bedding is suspect, and I am going to use peat for the next while, just to be safe. Toxin? No idea on that one…

Zelda is in ICU, in what looks like the death curl position. There is discharge from mouth onto paper towel. In remembering back, I am wondering if death could have been from getting wedged under a larger piece of husk, and not being able to get free. Does that sound like a reasonable conjecture?

If toxin, I would expect my G. pulchra to go, too, as it is only .5" and is fed same food, with enclosure next to B. Albo, and identical living set up, except in a critter keeper, not old prune container. Not definitive, I know, but suggestive… That said, being in a farming area (south central Saskatchewan), toxins are all around.

At what point do I call "time of death?" I lack camera equipment to get a better picture than what I have posted due to Zelda's size.

Kathy, my 8 year old, greeted me this morning with sad eyes and "you killed my pet." We talked it through. All good… Already contracted Tarantulas Canada to make the Monday shipping. Do the newbie risks go down with bigger slings? Thinking of getting a ¾" this time…

Thank you all again.
Jorin

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Risks drop with larger spiders, yes.

I asked this and don't recall receiving an answer...did you clean the lego before you put it in the enclosure?

JRGreen

Arachnopeon
Yes to the Lego question. It was clean. I try to be careful to completely wash off traces of cleaners, too.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
I recall a recent post where somebody's T did this exact same thing and eventually died. It could be tied to pesticides used in the house or accidentally transferred from other pets. It could be related to the cricket virus going around that "may or may not" have an affect on arachnids. It could be some parasite or pathogen. It could be a lot of things.
That was me. I has an incidence similar to this. I believe it was the crickets I really do. I had had all of my T's for years and lost several of them suddenly. Id blame the food, but thats just me. No more pet store crickets! Crickets dont contain nearly the amount of "good stuff" that spiders need to stay healthy. Since I heard about this cricket virus, Ive stopped feeding them. Try roaches next time.

JRGreen

Arachnopeon
Can I use mealworms? Local pet store has a pile of them, too. Being mostly in middle of nowhere, feeding is a bit of an issue. Wild caught should be a death sentence, given being in the middle of farming country. Mind you, there are lots of grasshoppers right now...

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have no theory on why your sling died--sometimes they just die and there isn't a discover-able reason.

However, I did want to chime in that I once lost a couple B. smithi slings due to a package being left in the cold, and they assumed that same posture for a couple days before dying. Is that a dying sling posture, with the legs all up in the air? Does it have to do with general shock? Anybody else seen it?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
A couple weeks back i had a GBB sling that did this legs in the air thing. I immediatly moved it into ICU and it molted within minutes. I think it could of been a failed molt. I would keep a sling that size in a smaller enclosure. That way it doesnt have to travel far to find the area you mist for a drink. Good luck. Any update on its condition?

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SOrry for your loss. I have lost many a sling and even adult tarantulas for unknown reasons. Just like any species, some are not strong enough to survive and get weeded out by natural selection... That said it still sucks when it is your tarantula :( I just bred this species and have about 300 slings :eek::eek:, but it looks as if you live in Canada so I can't really be of assistance otherwise i'd give ya 10 for free.. take care and best of luck with the replacements, I am sure there will be more as this is not a hobby, but an addiction.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
The water dish suggestion also comes from someone that thinks it is ok to put a total array of wildlife in with your T so they can play happy together.

Centipedes with my T

Wow, You are extremely rude.
If you would have read that post, I Completely Re-vamped her cage.
And that has nothing to do with anything posted in THIS thread.

Op-I wish you the best.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
A sling that small does not need a waterdish or a large container. You need to move it to a smaller deli cup and put cocofiber in with it. A sling needs a small enclosure in order to find its food. If its too big it will have trouble finding the prey. And make sure the substrate is high enough so that if it climbs the side, it can't fall and be injured.

And @Wachusaynoob, if you are going to keep your rosea in that 40g you need to fill it about 75% of the way up with substrate so that it will not be injured if it climbs and falls. Looking at your enclosure, that is a LONG way for a T to fall. This is why you might want to move it to a 10g which isn't as tall and it will be cheaper to fill up with substrate.
I've got a brick and a half left of coco-fiber so I'll definetly RE-DO her cage again, Still refuse to put her in anything smaller till my LP's are full grown =P Even then we have Alot of spare tanks laying around (came from a verry Animal-friendly home)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I've got a brick and a half left of coco-fiber so I'll definetly RE-DO her cage again, Still refuse to put her in anything smaller till my LP's are full grown =P Even then we have Alot of spare tanks laying around (came from a verry Animal-friendly home)
Your saying you are refusing to rehouse your G. rosea? Your keeping it in a 40 gallon? Just to clarify.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm wondering if the legs over the head thing could be caused by high pressure, as when the legs curl under it is due to a decrease in internal pressure? I know there is no known cause right now, I'm just speculating because this idea popped in my head.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I'm wondering if the legs over the head thing could be caused by high pressure, as when the legs curl under it is due to a decrease in internal pressure? I know there is no known cause right now, I'm just speculating because this idea popped in my head.
That is a great idea. I wish I thought of it. :wall:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Your saying you are refusing to rehouse your G. rosea? Your keeping it in a 40 gallon? Just to clarify.
Yes, I am.
But I am NOT refusing to Make the cage Safe for my Girl. She isnt a rock, She Moves around quite a bit, She has everything she needs, and uses it. Why bother? I have the space for it.

Clear enough?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The larger coco chips are not ideal, but should not cause death either. It would be a problem later when it tries to burrow and maybe a piece falls on it.
Even so, it's not real heavy.

There are bricks that are mixed (coir, large fibers, and chips)

You want a brick that is coir only. You can order them at National Garden Wholesale online for $2.38, but they have both, so make sure and get the coir.

That's the only place I can help here. Good luck.

P.S. The Coir will look like soil almost when moistened. There should be only a minute amount of long fibers, and NO chips.