Help! I think I accidentally poked my 5cm T's eye and it came off. :(

maemaemae

Arachnopeon
I was rehousing her and used a soft paint brush to encourage {her} to move. She moved to the new enclosure smoothly so I thought it was fine until I saw a tiny black shiny dot on her pedicel. It's one of her eyes.

I'm observing her and only seen her move once after an hour or so. I feel so bad, I'm a beginner, I should've been more careful.

So, my question is will she be fine without an eye? Will it regrow or something the next molt? She's about 5cm now and only had her for a week.

Attached is a before and after the incident. :/

Attachments

Last edited:

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
First time i hear about this. Are you sure it's an eye? What species is it btw?
Not sure if it can come off that easily. Luckily T's don't rely on sight and it should hunt without a problem. Maybe it will just stay out in the open more because it wont be able to see the change of light as you approach.
I dont know if it can regenerate since this is the first time i hear about a situation like this.

maemaemae

Arachnopeon
I know it's quite bizarre. :'( It's Brachypelma Emilia. I attached before and after the incident photos. I was just filming her earlier when she had two bright eyes. I'm really not sure, but I think it's her eye. What do you think?

Last edited:

vicareux

I know it's quite bizarre. :'( It's Brachypelma Emilia. I attached before and after the incident photos. I was just filming her earlier when she had two bright eyes. I'm really not sure, but I think it's her eye. What do you think?
That's too big for an eye,and all eyes appear to be intact. I'm assuming its just a piece of wet substrate. Which is too wet.

maemaemae

Arachnopeon
That's too big for an eye,and all eyes appear to be intact. I'm assuming its just a piece of wet substrate. Which is too wet.
I hope so. but why does it seem like she only has one main eye now, compare to the first pic?

I don't know what I'm talking about really. Apologies. But it just looked like she had two big eyes in the first pic, and only one now on the second.

I'm Googling B. Emilia's eyes photos now and yes it looks like one set of eyes. But why it did look like two?

vicareux

I'm seeing (no pun intended) all eyes.
Even if i didn't circle the exact positions of eyes correctly,the thing on the pedicel is simply way too large to be an eye. Their eyes are tiny.

Check out this link,and scroll down to get a greater idea of their eye anatomy:
IMG_4320_2.jpg.jpg

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I don't know what I'm talking about really. Apologies. But it just looked like she had two big eyes in the first pic, and only one now on the second.

I'm Googling B. Emilia's eyes photos now and yes it looks like one set of eyes. But why it did look like two?
You know they have two sets of four eyes? I seriously doubt anything has happened. I'm sure they are fine

Last edited:

maemaemae

Arachnopeon
I'm seeing (no pun intended) all eyes.
Even if i didn't circle the exact positions of eyes correctly,the thing on the pedicel is simply way too large to be an eye. Their eyes are tiny.

Check out this link,and scroll down to get a greater idea of their eye anatomy:
View attachment 387823
I see. Thanks for those. That made me feel better. It really stressed me out. I really need to learn more about them. Super appreciate it.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I was rehousing her and used a soft paint brush to encourage {her} to move. She moved to the new enclosure smoothly so I thought it was fine until I saw a tiny black shiny dot on her pedicel. It's one of her eyes.

I'm observing her and only seen her move once after an hour or so. I feel so bad, I'm a beginner, I should've been more careful.

So, my question is will she be fine without an eye? Will it regrow or something the next molt? She's about 5cm now and only had her for a week.

Attached is a before and after the incident. :/
Rest assured you didn't take off it's eye with an artist paintbrush unless it's a brush with metal bristles.

sasker

Arachnoprince
so I thought it was fine until I saw a tiny black shiny dot on her pedicel. It's one of her eyes
See if you can retrieve this black dot. I am curious now what it is ;)

Whatever it is, it is not an 'eye'.