Help I didn't know it was molting

Lightingsnake

Arachnopeon
I didn't know it was molting and I thought it was dead so I I poke it gently as I could please tell me I didn't kill it :'(

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
People who work in pet stores make the mistake of thinking that a T on its back is dead all the time. I hate to think about how many molting Ts get thrown away or flushed by ignorant people.

Lightingsnake

Arachnopeon
I usually research before getting a new pet but I didn't this time because I wasn't planning on getting one my friend mom was forcing him to get rid of it so I decided to take it.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Leave it alone to do its thing, it will probably be ok. You came to the right place to learn about keeping these dudes happy and healthy. Welcome!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Touching a molting tarantula isn't gonna kill it, just don't do it again. Funny story, actually: an experienced user @cold blood was also unaware of what molting looked like, so when he found his first tarantula on her back, HE PICKED IT UP AND FLIPPED IT OVER XD and then went to work. When he got home the tarantula had molted just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

cold blood

Staff member
That was like 16 years ago...and I was anything but experienced at the time:) But yep, it happened.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yeah tarantulas really aren't as fragile during molting as people tend to think. When Regina molted she didn't even make a bed for herself, she just laid down on the dirt and changed clothes.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
People who work in pet stores make the mistake of thinking that a T on its back is dead all the time. I hate to think about how many molting Ts get thrown away or flushed by ignorant people.
Still a better story than the one I heard from someone who accidentally killed her molting tarantula because she thought it was being attacked by a second tarantula and tried to pull the "attacker" off.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Still a better story than the one I heard from someone who accidentally killed her molting tarantula because she thought it was being attacked by a second tarantula and tried to pull the "attacker" off.
I know you already told me that story a few months ago, but I refuse to get over this. How in the... WHAT?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There are no words worthy of addressing this story. Where can I read this?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
There are no words worthy of addressing this story. Where can I read this?
There isn't much more to the story than that. I was chatting with a gamer friend about tarantulas, and she mentioned she once had a wild-caught one. She didn't know what molting was, so she misinterpreted what she saw as another tarantula having gotten into the cage to attack her tarantula.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
There isn't much more to the story than that. I was chatting with a gamer friend about tarantulas, and she mentioned she once had a wild-caught one. She didn't know what molting was, so she misinterpreted what she saw as another tarantula having gotten into the cage to attack her tarantula.
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
BUT HOW WOULD ANOTHER TARANTULA HAVE GOTTEN INTO THE
IT
WHA
VBSIVBHUFJSBNJKVDSBSVHJDBZ,JFNSZ VFHUCNDSK

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
That might just be better than the person who "forgot" their G porteri in a container with no airholes for a year.........