help I.D youtube scorpion

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
99% Androctonus crassicauda
How you tell is that the pedipalps are a distuinguishly different color (mauritanicus dont), and the size of both male and female pedipalps (bicolor and most others dont have the size), it is not an australis because of the sheer black. Small chance of baluchicus but they don't seem to fit the characteristics normally given to them when talking about the light or dark morphs. Also crassicauda are the more widely distributed, hard to walk into anyone selling baluchicus.

louis1618

Arachnopeon
well the reason i ask ,is because i seen tons of crassicauda picture and the tail is more like a A.mauritanicus which i own.i also own an A.australis tunisia and the tail in the video looks similar.i been looking at more Andro's .i googled A.sergenti i saw only two pictures and its tail matches the tail of the male in the vid.but that pic could also be a crassicauda .maybe some one who owns one could be more help

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've honestly never heard of anyone IDing andros from tail characteristics (outside australis type end segment coloration), the reason being is that they can actually vary within one sub species of andro, for example A.bicolor have a pretty wide range of tail look from flat backed to round backed, etc.

What are you specifically looking for on the tail to compare? Pattern? Segment length? Flat or round backed? What specifically can you match on the tail from the video to rither mauritanicus or australis?

Compare the pedipalps to a mauritanicus.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've honestly never heard of anyone IDing andros from tail characteristics (outside australis type end segment coloration), the reason being is that they can actually vary within one sub species of andro, for example A.bicolor have a pretty wide range of tail look from flat backed to round backed, etc.

What are you specifically looking for on the tail to compare? Pattern? Segment length? Flat or round backed? What specifically can you match on the tail from the video to rither mauritanicus or australis?

Compare the pedipalps to a mauritanicus.
Well,

Than you have been "listening" to the rwong sources :) The carinae on the ventral sides of certain metasomal segments are very important characters in identifying Androctonus.

Both crassicauda and mauretanicus have incrassate manus of the pedipalps. A.bicolor have them slim, elongate...Judging by the coloration, habitus and rough size (I can't see the important characters in this vid) I'd also vote for A.crassicauda. But I can't be sure!

PS. Why don't you use Eric Ythiers Androctonus key? (try find it on Google)

Cheers, Michiel

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well,

Than you have been "listening" to the rwong sources :)
Love when conclusions are jumped to, what I clearly said is i've never seen someone ID an andro from the tail characteristics, i'm not listening to any "source" to the contrary, which is why I asked what he was looking for on the tail.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Love when conclusions are jumped to, what I clearly said is i've never seen someone ID an andro from the tail characteristics, i'm not listening to any "source" to the contrary, which is why I asked what he was looking for on the tail.
That's why the word listening was between " " ,genius :D So no conclusions where jumped to...Just typical that you never seen someone ID "an andro" from the "tail", while the carination of the metasomal segments is really important.