Help..G Rosea acting weird and white spot??

Jenfer825

Arachnopeon
https://m.imgur.com/a/zWFil

Rosie is about 10 years old (best guess? Molted in January. Not sure what this white stuff is? Not growing or moving. She is acting increasingly agitated. New pre-molt behavior? Any ideas? No falls that I know of and we do not Handle her as she is particularly ornery.

Edit: trying to add pictures

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not sure about the white spot, it doesn't look like anything insidious. However the substrate you have her on is definitely sub standard. She should be on something better such as coco fiber or an equivalent.

Jenfer825

Arachnopeon
Not sure about the white spot, it doesn't look like anything insidious. However the substrate you have her on is definitely sub standard. She should be on something better such as coco fiber or an equivalent.
Whew.
As for substrate, I'll look into options. She's been on this for years and hated coir when we tried it, but I can try again. Thanks!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
[QUOTE="Jenfer825, post: 2505748, member: 69556"
She's been on this for years and hated coir when we tried it[/QUOTE]
and how do you know that?? if she climbed a bit when you first put it in thats completely normal as the T is just settling in.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Possibly a piece of the chips? speaking of that substrate get rid of it as they're pretty abrasive, have sharp ends and have the possibility of containing pesticide or other various chemicals. I personally use Eco-earth or you can opt for chem. free topsoil, be sure to keep the sub dry when you do change it as they are an arid sp.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I would not worry about the spot unless it starts leaking fluid. I think a different substrate would be a good idea as well. When you add it keep it dry as they are not fond of wet substrate in general. Let us know if you have any more questions or if something changes.

Good luck and welcome to the boards. :)

Jenfer825

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much everyone! I am feeling guilty over the substrate now! I'll change it as soon as I can.

Jenfer825

Arachnopeon
[QUOTE="Jenfer825, post: 2505748, member: 69556"
She's been on this for years and hated coir when we tried it
and how do you know that?? if she climbed a bit when you first put it in thats completely normal as the T is just settling in.[/QUOTE]
It had been about a week and it was totally dry. I did half and half In the tank and she wouldn't touch it. Definitely will try again.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Don't worry too much over it. Just change it as soon as you can.

If you buy the coco fiber already mixed(loose in the bag) then let it dry out some before changing it out. If it's the brick and you have to re-hydrate it yourself add the water in slowly and try not to let it get too wet. Placing it outside on a trash bag in the sun for a day should dry it right out with the heat we have going on here. Once it is dry then change it out and it should be ok.

BTW glad to see another NC person on the boards. Hope you stick around.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
and how do you know that?? if she climbed a bit when you first put it in thats completely normal as the T is just settling in.
It had been about a week and it was totally dry. I did half and half In the tank and she wouldn't touch it. Definitely will try again.[/QUOTE]
it can take a lot longer than a week for a spider to settle in. what do you mean about half and half?

cold blood

Staff member
It had been about a week and it was totally dry. I did half and half In the tank and she wouldn't touch it. Definitely will try again.[/QUOTE]

A mistake a lot of people make with it is not tamping it down...if its not compressed its too fluffy and a lot of ts do not like that...just speculation on my part anyway. Top soil is a significantly cheaper option, and when you need to fill an aquarium with a ton of sub (it should be at least halfway filled), it can make a big difference...especially if you acquire many ts.

Last edited: