help end the hunger strike

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a H. lividum sling a few days ago. This is the smallest T I have ever delt with at a quarter inch.
The problem is its on a hunger strike.
I've tried prekilled, and live crickets. It ignores the dead kills the live but wont eat either one.
It is skinny compared to my other slings, and I'm kind of worried about it.
Also it hasn't burrowed at all even though it has a nice deep prestarted burrow to use.
The smallest sling I've ever had I got when it was a half inch, and it molted three days after I got it. I'm not sure if smaller slings are different or not but I have never had this problem before.
Any ideas?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only things i could think of is its gonna molt or its stressed for some reason(which would be a number of reasons). What size crickets are you feeding it?

otherwise if it dont wanna eat then it dont wanna eat.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Might be that the cage size is too big also. I keep my small T's in pretty tight quarters.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Or deyhdrated. Are you misting one side of the container ever few days so the slings can drink off the wall or suck it from the substrate?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it's abdomen about the size of its carapace, or is it shriveled and small? If it looks like it's at a nice size it'll be fine. If it's shriveled and small, it might be dehydrated! Mist the container a couple times.

How long have you had it? What are you keeping it in right now?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I'd pour some water down the burrow so that the sub gets moist down there. They like moist/moistish burrow bottoms for digging and drinking. Misting I don't think will do much unless for an emergancy drink or unless you "overmist".

Best of luck with it. I'm not sure lividums are so keen on food unless they have a burrow they call home - it's their instinct afterall to pull the food deep down into the burrow and to eat it there.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the only things i could think of is its gonna molt or its stressed for some reason(which would be a number of reasons). What size crickets are you feeding it?
I'm feeding it the smallest crickets I can find about 1/8 inch, one prekilled three days after I got it, one live two days later
Might be that the cage size is too big also. I keep my small T's in pretty tight quarters.
I put it in a small vial maybe an inch and a quarter deep by about three quarters of an inch around.
Or deyhdrated. Are you misting one side of the container ever few days so the slings can drink off the wall or suck it from the substrate?
substrate is moist enough that shouldn't be the problem
Is it's abdomen about the size of its carapace, or is it shriveled and small?
Shriveled and small
Best of luck with it. I'm not sure lividums are so keen on food unless they have a burrow they call home - it's their instinct afterall to pull the food deep down into the burrow and to eat it there.
I made it a burrow almost all the way to the bottom of the vial, probably about an inch deep.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave it be, give it a week or so to settle into it's new home, not eating for a week or two wont hurt the spider at all as long as its hydrated....

Regards, Mike

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The strike has ended.
It took a cricket last night, now it dosen't look near so starved.
Thanks for all the replies