Help Dumbledore! Molt issue

Creever

Arachnopeon
Hello. I own a rose hair tarantula named Dumbledore. He's awesome. There's this piece of dirt that has been stuck to his behind since his molt. I'm sure it's driving him crazy but I can't seem to get it off without thinking that I'll hurt his spindles. Please help.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
he can take it off by himself if its bothering him. if his last molt was more than a week ago you can just take it off without harming him.

Creever

Arachnopeon
he can take it off by himself if its bothering him. if his last molt was more than a week ago you can just take it off without harming him.

He molted a couple months ago now he's dragging this lump of dirt around.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
He molted a couple months ago now he's dragging this lump of dirt around.
its been on him for a couple months? lol he prob dosnt care, but im sure you can pull it off with tongs, it looks to be attached with only webbing.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree. I dont see any leftover exuviae attached to your T, just web.

If it bothers him in any way I'm sure he'll remove it himself.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The setup you have there could also be altered to benefit him.

Deeper sub and less height from top to reduce risk of fall

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Looks more female to me though I cannot really tell from the image.

One of mine had some webbing and dirt stuck to the spinnerets a couple weeks ago. After it still being there overnight I decided the following morning to remove it. All I did was gently grab the dirt with some tongs. She walked away and it came off fine. But I could clearly tell that it was just attached by some dried silk and not more deeply embedded.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello. I own a rose hair tarantula named Dumbledore. He's awesome. There's this piece of dirt that has been stuck to his behind since his molt. I'm sure it's driving him crazy but I can't seem to get it off without thinking that I'll hurt his spindles. Please help.
It's driving you more crazy apparently haha. Leave your T alone, they can manage for themselves on simple issues like this.

how do you think they survive in the wild w/out human help?? ;)

Your tank is too tall w/the level of sub you have in there though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This thread is a great example of how many damns spiders give on a day to day basis.

Zero. The answer's zero. I say let her carry around the dirt, I think it's adorable.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This thread is a great example of how many damns spiders give on a day to day basis.

Zero. The answer's zero. I say let her carry around the dirt, I think it's adorable.
Unfortunately, humans are too worried about "how it should look". I used to be the same way w/some of my other exotics many, many years ago. It's not a bad quality per se, but it's not necessary. Some things are important, like removing eye caps from a snake's eye for example. But this pic doesn't demonstrate the "look" is an issue of health per se.

At least the owner seems to care.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Muahahahah high five for that name, Dumbledore... crack me up the way that name sound in Italian :-s

I have a female named Dr. Cooleridge :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, I wouldn't even think twice, I'd just hold it with a tweezers and let the t pull it off....haha, that's just me though.

Creever

Arachnopeon
You guys are awesome. I didn't know it was a she! Even more exciting and by the way Dumbledore took it off today! Will totally get a smaller cage for her. Ty guys.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You guys are awesome. I didn't know it was a she! Even more exciting and by the way Dumbledore took it off today! Will totally get a smaller cage for her. Ty guys.
You don't necessarily need a smaller cage; you just need to put more substrate in the current one. The main reason behind this is because terrestrials will climb the walls and they are fragile. A fall from a decent height (especially onto something hard like a hide) could kill it. General rule of thumb for terrestrial Ts is you don't want more than about 1-1.5 times your spiders DLS (diagonal leg span) between the top of your substrate and the top of your enclosure. So if Dumbledore were 4 inches DLS, for example, you wouldn't want more than 4 to 6 inches between the top of your sub and the lid of the enclosure. This also gives them room to burrow if they see fit and if it makes them more comfortable.