Help! Different ways of measuring

LucianT

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys,

So there seems to be lots of different ways of stating the size of a T when they're advertised for sale and I'm starting to find it a bit confusing as I don't know what I can expect. I see it in CM and know that this is DLS which is fine I get that.. But then there is "fh" "in star" "L" and I don't get what these are. Is there anybody that can help me with this??

Thank you guys

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
But then there is "fh" "in star" "L" and I don't get what these are. Is there anybody that can help me with this??
They're just how many times a tarantula has moulted.

Instars are counted from after hatching so, generally speaking, you have Eggs With Legs (EWL) > 1st instar (basically a nymph stage that still retains some yolk to sustain itself) > 2nd instar (proper spiderling that is able to feed normally, this should be the smallest "size" you'll see for sale).

If I remember correctly L or fh are only counted from 2nd instar onwards (so L1 or 1fh = 2nd instar).

centuryold

Arachnopeon
They're just how many times a tarantula has moulted.

Instars are counted from after hatching so, generally speaking, you have Eggs With Legs (EWL) > 1st instar (basically a nymph stage that still retains some yolk to sustain itself) > 2nd instar (proper spiderling that is able to feed normally, this should be the smallest "size" you'll see for sale).

If I remember correctly L or fh are only counted from 2nd instar onwards (so L1 or 1fh = 2nd instar).
Thanks Grym
I've been confused about the sizes from a long time. and nobody from my group are interested in tarantulas, it's kind of hard to get the right information.