Help creating a heated area + a few other things

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
So I really want to get some scorpions but the thing that's been preventing me from getting them is I don't know the best way of going about making a heated area. I've heard to use heat pads on the side, use heat lamps, tons of other things, and I just want to know what do you guys do and what works best? Say, if I had a shelf just for scorpions, how would I go about making sure they were all heated properly?

and another thing, what is considered a ''beginner'' scorpion? I know beginner inverts is a subjective thing but I was wondering, for example, some tarantulas aren't good for beginners because of how skittish they are. That isn't something to worry about with scorpions so what would I generally want to avoid as someone who's never owned them before? Any types that I might want to avoid until I'm more experienced, like picky eaters or ones that just don't do well? Thanks for any help!

ianhunt

Arachnopeon
It depends on what kind of scorpion you are getting and what temp. of your place

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
It differs but the usual temp is in the low 70s. I was hoping to get an emp but I plan on getting all types in the future

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
There is no solution that works under all circumstances.
My advice is to measure and adjust, repeat that often.
If you want a 'emp' P. imperator (which is commonly listed as beginner species) you need to regulate 2 aspects.
Temperature and humidity.

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
I had heard of people making certain heated areas on their shelves where they only kept inverts that required heat so I assumed I needed to do something like that
I'm aware of how to care for P. imperator, I just don't know what kind of heating is the best for one or any other species.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I know my approach is frowned upon here and goes against all of the advice that other people would give, but you asked what we do and what works for us, so here it goes.

I use flexwatt heat tape and a thermostat for all of my scorpions, and I put them on the bottom of the tank. I take the thermostat probe and tape it directly to the heat tape with metallic tape on the OUTSIDE of the tank. This ensures that the thermostat probe doesn't shift or get dislodged by borrowing scorpions and doesn't get affected by moisture or anything like that. I then use a separate thermometer/thermocouple to figure out what thermostat setting is required to get the inside of the tank to the correct temperature. Even if the scorpions burrow all the way to the bottom of the tank the actual heat tape itself is only 90-95°F so there is very little chance of them cooking themselves.

My emperors are in a 20L tank so they take up a whole shelf by themselves, on this tank I use 12" wide heat tape that covers basically half of the tank split left/right. My 3 other scorpions are housed in separate plastic containers and I use a heated shelf approach that you mentioned to heat them all on the same heat tape. On these I have 4" wide heat tape that stretches the length of all 3 containers so the rear 1/3 of the enclosures are heated. I also have a tarantula, a toad, a spider and my superworm pupa bin that while they aren't directly heated, they benefit from slightly higher than room temperatures just from the ambient heating in the cabinet.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter on a pulse proportional thermostat.

Or basking lamp with red bulbs on a dimming thermostat.

I use wire ties to tie the thermostat probe on the inside of the screen top directly below the CHE or red bulb then calibrate the thermostat appropriately to produce the right temps in the enclosure.

Attachments

Poiseye

Arachnopeon
I am really trying to get the temp right for my sons forest scorpion I did do research but we are new owners. Not much help but super cool pet to observe!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
You want 75F-85F those are the ideal temps. The optimal temps are 80F-85F (+5). The scorpions will show abit more activity and there may be metabolic benefits too. You want 4-6" of moist substrate, a cork bark hide, and appropriately sized waterdish. Also spagnum moss and forest moss is a great addition to assist with humidity. And clean misting water bottle.

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I've also done more research out of this thread and it seems like a heat pad on the side would be the best. The only thing I'm still confused about is what people do when they have lots of scorpions, because a heatpad for every single one seems like a lot. I've heard people say they don't 'need' heat but I don't agree with them being less comfortable in their enclosure for my own convenience. Is it true that lots of species can be just as good at room temp?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
if you're clever about placement you can have 1 heat pad supplying 2 large enclosures - just sandwich the pad between them with a spacer so it's not right up against the side. Or get a longer pad and run it along a back panel behind several enclosures. Ceramic lamps can also warm several enclosures at once.