Help Choosing a Healthy Emperor

shotcaller88

Arachnopeon
I finally have everything together for my new Emperor home. Now I can really use some help with the most important part....choosing an emperor. I think I'd prefer a female because they tend to get larger. I'd also prefer a younger scorp.
So I've found 2 pet stores around here that have several of them. The tanks in both pet stores did not appear very humid at all. At one store, the "scorpion guy" (as he was referred to by a co-worker) told me that he keeps his scorpions at home in a much more humid environment. At least he knew his stuff.
Anyway, the Emperors in both stores appeared to be young adults. There were some smaller ones, but I would assume they are the same age. Eventhough I want a younger one, I wouldn't want to pick a smaller one of the group.

I found the following info with a google search:

"If you decide to acquire your Emperor from a pet store, look for a larger active specimen rich in colouration and robust in body size. Females are typically differentiated from the male specimens by their greater body width and thicker post-abdomens ("tail"). Do not choose specimens that appear lethargic or are actively moving about the vivarium with their chelae ("claws") held high over their bodies. Scorpions that carry their chelae in this position, ceaselessly moving about the vivarium, are rarely healthy and most die shortly after acquisition."

So finally, on to my questions....

After I ask the pet store employee to lift up the hiding spot, what should I look for as far as the actions of the scorpions? I'm guessing I should I look for one that moves around a lot but doesn't bully the others. Some of them barely seemed to move at all.
What exactly does "rich in colouration" mean? They all seemed to look the same as far as color. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
I know they are too fat when the white lines in between the segments are greatly exposed. Sorry for lack of proper terminology there :D I'll try not to pick one that is too overweight. I'm clearly an amateur at this and it's hard for me to judge these guys. I'm thinking it would be safer to pick one that is slightly fat than one that is too skinny.

I apologize if I started rambling a bit ;) In short, I am just looking for any tips to pick out a healthy Emperor. I am inexperienced here, so the more obvious things to look for the better. This is an important decision for me and I will take the time to study them while choosing my new pet.

Thanks in advance.

Vaul

Arachnopeon
I have got a few emp's from petshops before. Some were good, some were not so. Heres a list of roughly what I look for.

i)No signs of injury (missing legs, damaged stings), or leaking wounds. You can buy injured ones of course! But I rekon they should give you a discount if its injured. If it seems to be bleeding, stay away. Swellings and lumps are probably best avoided aswell.

ii)NO MITES.

iii)When its wandering about, does it lift its sting up, or drag it behind. If the animal looks a bit thin, and is dragging its sting behind it, its probably not a good idea to buy it.

iv)Assuming the above are all favourable, poke the scorp (gently) with a pen or something. You would expect this to illicit at least some response, usually turning round and opening its pincers, but it may try and retreat and 'guard' itself instead. Your not bothered about which of the responses occur, as long as one of them does!

v)Ask about the animals! Doesn't hurt to pick their brains a bit. If the seller is talking gibberish, or avoiding the questions, ten to one they don't know about the scorpions they are keeping :embarrassed:. So, they may have kept them badly. So don't buy off them until they get their act together:cool:.

vi)Emp's can be a bit like a pet rock, hiding and sleeping alot. But they are cool in their own way. So enjoy and weclome to teh hobby :D

Other random tips. Big round inactive ones, with the membrane (grey bit) stretched could be getting powered up to moult, espeacially if they are inactive, or gravid.

Hope this helps.

\/

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Without the time to read two long posts.... go out and buy a juvenile!! Preferably from somewhere that has they're tank setup correctly like yours :) then youll be styling.

shotcaller88

Arachnopeon
Vaul: Thanks for all the tips. I'll be sure to inspect my future pet very well for any possible flaws.
"Do you mind if I poke a scorpion with a pen?" I wonder if I'll get a funny look when I ask them that. Either way I think it's a good idea & will definitely try it out.

EAD063: As stated in the above post, I don't have either of those luxuries. All the scorps I have found locally seem to be sub adults. Also, the pet stores keep them in some type of mulch looking stuff and the tanks don't seem very humid at all. Luckily, down here in South Florida, the humidity is relatively high. It's far from 80-90% though.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vaul: Thanks for all the tips. I'll be sure to inspect my future pet very well for any possible flaws.
"Do you mind if I poke a scorpion with a pen?" I wonder if I'll get a funny look when I ask them that. Either way I think it's a good idea & will definitely try it out.

EAD063: As stated in the above post, I don't have either of those luxuries. All the scorps I have found locally seem to be sub adults. Also, the pet stores keep them in some type of mulch looking stuff and the tanks don't seem very humid at all. Luckily, down here in South Florida, the humidity is relatively high. It's far from 80-90% though.
Hey, like I said before I didn't have time to read the posts thoroughlly. If you are willing to get one shipped I'm sure we can hook you up with someone on here with some juvies. Everyone involved with the forum with definently send you a healthly scorp. I've seem no problems so far. But in a pet shop, if the tank is clean and the pet shop has good credibility you should be in good shape. A look at the animals that require a lot more care like reptiles will show how well they care for they're smaller pets.:D

shotcaller88

Arachnopeon
Hey, like I said before I didn't have time to read the posts thoroughlly. If you are willing to get one shipped I'm sure we can hook you up with someone on here with some juvies. Everyone involved with the forum with definently send you a healthly scorp. I've seem no problems so far. But in a pet shop, if the tank is clean and the pet shop has good credibility you should be in good shape. A look at the animals that require a lot more care like reptiles will show how well they care for they're smaller pets.:D
No problem. I definitely appreciate the replies. The tanks did seem clean at both pet stores. The people were very kind and seemed fairly knowledgeable.
The two places I'm looking at are:
Ben Siegel Reptiles
http://www.albinonile.com

East Coast Reptiles
http://myspace.com/140243782

I found some positive reviews for Ben Siegel. There doesn't seem to be much on East Coast though. I figured I'd post the names since there's a chance you guys may be familiar with one of them.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First link seems excellent.... a lot of money into that store, look at the custom setup! :)