Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

[HELP] Can I use an old kitchen thermometer to monitor enclosure temps?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by lanzaey, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    So basically, I have an old kitchen thermometer lying around and I've ordered a heat mat online for my scorp. I've kept her in an unheated enclosure because I was skeptical at first whether or not she will survive the first months after being taken from the wild.

Here are photos of the thermometer:
    http://imgur.com/a/6J48CzU

On an aditional note, how hot would you suggest the temps to be? I'm keeping a female Asian Forest Scorpion on a pretty large 30×65×35cm tank.

My heatmat is 14w at 30×30cm. Would you guys recommend side mounting it or putting it underneath the tank? Thanks!

2. moricollins

moricollins Arachnoking Old Timer

Never put a heat mat under an invertebrate's tank. If it digs into the substrate it could burn itself.

I would imagine that a kitchen thermometer would work to measure temperature in a tank ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    Not a good idea to leave the scorpion in less than correct environment for a couple of months to see if it makes it !
    Have the heat mat on the side, never under the tank, and have one hide close to the side with the heat mat and another hide in a slightly cooler area.
    Temp. range 85/88 cent. humidity 80/85.
    The kitchen therm. should be okay, place it in a central area of the tank, not up against the heat mat.That will give a temp. gradient from hot heat mat area to cooler areas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah I know it was a bad idea and I'm trying to make it up to her now. Thanks for the advice on temps and heat mat placement

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.