Help: Brazilian Whiteknee Refusing to Eat

Darius

Arachnopeon
i just got a Brazilian white knee, a 2'' T 2 days ago but he refuse to eat when i dropped a pre- killed cricket in he has only some water and move around just a bit but this morning i woke up i found him curled up in the corner of his enclosure. is there something wrong with him?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
i just got a Brazilian white knee, a 2'' T 2 days ago but he refuse to eat when i dropped a pre- killed cricket in he has only some water and move around just a bit but this morning i woke up i found him curled up in the corner of his enclosure. is there something wrong with him?
I would highly suggest making your own thread in Questions & Discussions so people can offer individual help, but since you're here your T is definitely still settling in. By "curled up" I assume you mean with the knees over the carapace, not actually curled up like a death curl? Ts take several days or even a few weeks to fully settle in to their new environment and a lot of them will not eat during this transition period.

Darius

Arachnopeon
i just got a Brazilian white knee, a 2'' T 2 days ago but he refuse to eat when i dropped a pre- killed cricket in he has only some water and move around just a bit but this morning i woke up i found him curled up in the corner of his enclosure(not a death curl). is there something wrong with him?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Hi Darius, thank you for starting your own discussion! Like I said in the other thread, your spider is just sitting there with his knees pulled over the carapace, yes? Not actually curled up with his legs under his body? Spiders take a few days or even a few weeks to settle into their new enclosure and will often sit in a stress pose for a few days. They will likely not eat during this time but nothing is wrong with them, they just need some time to settle and get used to everything.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
i just got a Brazilian white knee, a 2'' T 2 days ago but he refuse to eat when i dropped a pre- killed cricket in he has only some water and move around just a bit but this morning i woke up i found him curled up in the corner of his enclosure(not a death curl). is there something wrong with him?
What you've described could be one of multiple things...some normal...some not so normal. To better assess the situation we really need images...close ups of the spider's posture and a couple of images that show the enclosure that the spider call's home.

Lacking those, we will not be of much, if any, help.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If those sprigs are from coniferous trees (pines/etc.) then remove them as they may contain oils that could stress out or harm your tarantula.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
It doesn't look stressed to me...it looks like it’s hiding. I’m guessing that it’s only been in this enclosure for a short time...probably less than a week?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The enclosure is a bit big, but I guess it'll grow into quite quickly.

Just one thing, the pot seems to be whole/not broken in half, but your T needs something that it can burrow under and extend the burrow to its liking. The hide needs to be open downwards. So, you can either break the pot in half (but make sure there won't be any sharp edges) or you can simply take a piece of cork bark and bury it in an angle.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've merged the threads about this tarantula. Carry on.

boina

Lady of the mites
The tarantula looks generally ok, just a bit stressed and trying to hide. The pot you provided may be a bit big for its liking - tarantulas prefer smaller, tighter hides where they just fit in. Otherwise you can just wait and see. You also don't know at what point it is in it's molting cycle. Although it doesn't look very fat it may just have not been fed that much and may be close to molting. With a new spider you never know.

Darius

Arachnopeon
The tarantula looks generally ok, just a bit stressed and trying to hide. The pot you provided may be a bit big for its liking - tarantulas prefer smaller, tighter hides where they just fit in. Otherwise you can just wait and see. You also don't know at what point it is in it's molting cycle. Although it doesn't look very fat it may just have not been fed that much and may be close to molting. With a new spider you never know.
I’m just a bit worried because this species love eating but it has been 3 day and it only drank water may be after a week it would feel better maybe? But it kinda moved around a bit sticking on the side of the enclosure and then hide at the same spot again

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’m just a bit worried because this species love eating but it has been 3 day and it only drank water may be after a week it would feel better maybe? But it kinda moved around a bit sticking on the side of the enclosure and then hide at the same spot again
Not eating in three days in tarantula world is equalent to a human not eating in 1 minute! Tarantulas can go very very long between meals. This speicies do have a large appetite, but can have their periods when they are not hungry, or it approach premoult. Then tjeir appetite sliws down

Last edited: