Help! Bought a "confirmed" female, molted male.

Parodygunner

Arachnopeon
What should I do? Would I be a Karen if I contacted the shop and told them she is actually a he? Is there some protocol for this or should I just try again?

Aphonopelma chalcodes, pic sucks I know, he's super skittish

Attachments

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Never hurts to bring it up. My "female" T. albopilosus hooked out last September and I was lucky enough to be able to talk to the dealer in person about a month later. He gave me a discount on another spider since I didn't want a second T. albo.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
If I was in this position, I would send an e-mail to the seller with adequate proof that the female they sold is in fact male. Someone who paid for a confirmed female and got a male did not get what they paid for and are thus entitled to some form of correction, such as a partial refund, by the seller.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What species is this tarantula? Also I don't see any emboli or physical features that would indicate a mature male. So I'm assuming it's not a mature male. So did you sex the molt to confirm it was indeed a male?

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
What sp is it? How are you sure its male? Going to need a better picture, but the stockier appearance and shorter legs doesn't look like its male (yet). I also can't see any hooks or bulbs from the pic... but if it is male, it never hurts to tell the seller that.

Parodygunner

Arachnopeon
Sorry about the picture, I tried to get one where you could see the tibial hooks clearly but this one has never been that photogenic. Its aphonopelma chalcodes

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What should I do? Would I be a Karen if I contacted the shop and told them she is actually a he? Is there some protocol for this or should I just try again?

Aphonopelma chalcodes, pic sucks I know, he's super skittish
You bought a product. You did not get what you paid for. I think you can figure out the rest.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I had this happen to me where I bought a "confirmed" female OBT that hooked out a few months after I bought him. If they won't acknowledge their mistake and try to correct it somehow, then leave an honest review to warn others and never do business with them again.

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
Once had this very thing happen with a B. hamorii that was purchased as a juvenile. Being relatively new in the hobby I decided that it was just a mistake on the seller’s part and I didn’t know about molt sexing at the time. I sent him off to a breeder and didn’t any else of it tbh.

Though now I would consider contacting your seller. It might’ve just been a simple human mistake on their part. Maybe they’ll buy him back from you and/or offer you some compensation. Worth a try. If they don’t react too well, send your T off to a different breeder and never do business with wherever you got him from again.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
fair is fair - if it was sold as a confirmed female they owe you a confirmed female - i would absolutely say something to whomever you got it from

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely try to arrange something with the seller. Honest mistakes do happen. If they're decent people, they'll do their part and provide either a refund or a female of the species you wanted at a lower price.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The real problem is that your specimen was sold as "female", no doubts about that, but didn't arrived to you as a "male" (seems absurd, but follow me), you discovered the sex after the molting process, with the sight of the so called 'boxing gloves' on pedipalps and etc

Now this may be a scam made on purpose; May be a mistake in good faith (shouldn't happen now when purchasing by pro/s sellers, but still as a very little % may happens); May be the mistake of someone who jumped in the trade without the knowledge and 'the how to' (happens, since T's market lately is IMO more bigger).

So yes, you should definitely contact the seller but, I don't know... If that person isn't a trusted one he/she may say to you something like "I've shipped to you a female, this is the picture of another specimen" and such crap. Hope not.

Skullion

Arachnopeon
Contacting the seller wouldn't make you a Karen. Mistakes happen and it's okay to address them. You were sold a "female" and didn't get what you paid for.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
When people say 'confirmed' I ask "Via a molt?". If they say "No" I say "not confirmed then" IMO the pages of "Can you sex my T" from a belly pic are a huge waste of time. I deal with a ton of Chalcodes and I can tell you the concept of 'confirmed females' hooking out it is common. The seller screwed up, which is why it is safer to sell them unsexed unless you have a molt.