HELP! Baby millis!

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon
Found about 15 baby millis in my bioactive set up. I dont want to keep them in there, theres fully grown isopods in there (dairy cow) but I know they need to eat poop! Can I keep them seperated and feed them something else, or? Do I need to cull my entire isopod colony? 😱

Suspected smokey oak babies.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Congratulations on the millipede babies! Is this a millipede terrarium or meant to be a combination of species? If you can remove the isopods to another enclosure, that would be ideal as they can kill molting millipedes. In my opinion, the difficulty removing the isopods or millipedes with minimal damage to the millipedes which can be fragile at this stage and digging through the substrate can potentially kill those in the process of molting. But perhaps it will not be too difficult to remove most the isopods as you see them? I’m not sure what species you have but many of the larger ones seem to prefer to hang out in or under decaying wood and leaves and don’t usually burrow too deep into the substrate.

Btw, both the millipedes and isopods will do quite well on a diet of decaying hardwood and leaves, especially if the wood is at the point where it is soft enough to easily crumble in your hands. Their diet can be supplemented by other foods such as fresh produce and pieces of dog/cat/fish kibble. In my experience, Narceus gordanus (the smokey oak millipedes) showed minimal interest in these supplements — be sure to remove uneaten food before it spoils. Maybe both the millipedes and isopods will eat some animal droppings but that is something I’ve never tried.

I hope that helps!

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon
Congratulations on the millipede babies! Is this a millipede terrarium or meant to be a combination of species? If you can remove the isopods to another enclosure, that would be ideal as they can kill molting millipedes. In my opinion, the difficulty removing the isopods or millipedes with minimal damage to the millipedes which can be fragile at this stage and digging through the substrate can potentially kill those in the process of molting. But perhaps it will not be too difficult to remove most the isopods as you see them? I’m not sure what species you have but many of the larger ones seem to prefer to hang out in or under decaying wood and leaves and don’t usually burrow too deep into the substrate.

Btw, both the millipedes and isopods will do quite well on a diet of decaying hardwood and leaves, especially if the wood is at the point where it is soft enough to easily crumble in your hands. Their diet can be supplemented by other foods such as fresh produce and pieces of dog/cat/fish kibble. In my experience, Narceus gordanus (the smokey oak millipedes) showed minimal interest in these supplements — be sure to remove uneaten food before it spoils. Maybe both the millipedes and isopods will eat some animal droppings but that is something I’ve never tried.

I hope that helps!
Thank you! I am shocked as to their existence... I now have 30 of the little buggers! It's a giant bioactive tank with mixed species of millipedes and the pods. They have dry leaves, rotting white wood, shredded wood mulch, moss and potting soil, sometimes I feed them fish flakes and yes dog food too.

Just worried about those little ones. They are currently in a mini version of the main enclosure with the exact same food, I just don't want them to starve. I assume they can still eat what an adult can... but I am woefully under prepared for them aha!

I've managed to move most of the isopods from the main tank to their own enclosure too... but not taking any changes with putting the babies back atm. It's 20 gallon tank.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thank you! I am shocked as to their existence... I now have 30 of the little buggers! It's a giant bioactive tank with mixed species of millipedes and the pods. They have dry leaves, rotting white wood, shredded wood mulch, moss and potting soil, sometimes I feed them fish flakes and yes dog food too.

Just worried about those little ones. They are currently in a mini version of the main enclosure with the exact same food, I just don't want them to starve. I assume they can still eat what an adult can... but I am woefully under prepared for them aha!

I've managed to move most of the isopods from the main tank to their own enclosure too... but not taking any changes with putting the babies back atm. It's 20 gallon tank.
It sounds like you’re doing everything right! :) They can eat the same food the adults do. I know I’ve read of additional food like maple syrup some give to baby millipedes, but I wouldn’t think that necessary with only around thirty, and there’s the risk of inviting pests. I’m of the mind that if it’s not broke, don’t fix it! You are using some of the same substrate as from the main tank? I think it beneficial to have bits of leaves and decaying wood throughout the substrate so that they can easily find food. I also like to not totally change the substrate so that the young may get beneficial bacteria from the adults. Maybe not needed or they may have already gotten what they needed before you moved them. Try to maintain the moisture levels as they were in the main tank, or at least the area where you found them. Same with temperature, if possible. Smaller containers can dry out faster (seems obvious, but something that can sneak up on one especially during hot weather).

All-in-all, if the adults were doing well and laid eggs, then maintaining those conditions should be good for the offspring. That has been the case for all the millipedes I’ve had. The hazards I encountered were: 1) Young can be more fragile, especially in rehousing. 2) Too many young for container size and keeping them fed. 3) Preventing overheating or drying out during the summer (it can get 84F in my apartment, may not be a worry for you).

I hope that isn’t too many variables and info, especially when it boils down to what you were already doing will likely promote their continued success! Post photos when you can and I hope the millipedes do well for you! :happy:

rookiesanewb

Arachnopeon

It sounds like you’re doing everything right! :)....
Ty!! This is what I've got them in at the moment. Its all from the old tank and its huge compared to them so hopefully they will have enough space, I didnt know the babies would need more room so they were in a much smaller one before. Luckily I live in England... no chance of a heat wave here :p Easy to keep things moist and warm when spring hasnt even arrived here yet and I keep the central heating on!

I saw unhatched eggs in the main tank. Just gonna leave em in there.

Here are two of the tiny babies on the surface! Oh they are so cute, I hate that I'm in love with these random unexpected babies already. :rofl: Highly suspecting these to be smokey oak babies. The tank has an A. gigas and a Cameroon green giant in it, but I think at this size most likely to be the oaks.