Help Avicularia avicularia has slime coming out of area under mouth.

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
I don't know why he/she is doing this and every minute its getting longer. what do I do and is he/she ok? I'm scared for my little one. shelob.jpg shelob 2.jpg shelob 3.jpg shelob 2.jpg

Update: The length of of the slimy rope was about an inch in length before it dropped out of her mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never seen anything like this. It’s not a worm is it? Is it moving around?

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
Never seen anything like this. It’s not a worm is it? Is it moving around?
Its not a worm he/she was secreting it from her mouth for about 20mins. It got longer and longer till it was about an inch and it dropped. Once she dropped it she moved to the other side of her cage. She hasn't eaten in 2 and a half weeks and some of her joints looks shiny and wet plus she is developing a bald spot so I assume she is also going to molt soon.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
The cage came with my T when I got her. I've been waiting for her to get a little bigger before I get her a nice fancy cage.
She doesn’t need a fancy set up, but a set up that’s higher than it’s wide, they need vertical room. Please read the linked thread in my post above. I’m not trying to be rude, I know you’re worried.

cold blood

Staff member
OP, I don’t know what that is, but you seem to have your avic in a terrestrial set up. That’s not good for them. https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

@cold blood do you know what this is?
Never seen anything like it.

The cage came with my T when I got her. I've been waiting for her to get a little bigger before I get her a nice fancy cage.
it doesn't need fancy, and fancy won't mean better or best.

These whole set ups cost under $10 and make a wonderful home.

Last edited:

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
She doesn’t need a fancy set up, but a set up that’s higher than it’s wide, they need vertical room. Please read the linked thread in my post above. I’m not trying to be rude, I know you’re worried.
I know, I appreciate the help its my first T so I'm inexperienced and any advise helps.

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
t cage.jpg I'm thinking of getting her the cage on the left its 8x8x14 with coconut substrate and putting in a replica of the Colosseum that's pretty tall I found at a pet store. Its meant for decoration in fish tank but would fit pretty nicely in it.
Never seen anything like it.

it doesn't need fancy, and fancy won't mean better or best.

These whole set ups cost under $10 and make a wonderful home.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
A piece of cork bark would be better for her than the coliseum, but the enclosure is the right shape! I don’t know how big your spider is.

Does she have access to fresh water?

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
A piece of cork bark would be better for her than the coliseum, but the enclosure is the right shape! I don’t know how big your spider is.

Does she have access to fresh water?
2.5 inches (don't know the sex yet). I wet the moss every week so it stays moist and I didn't didn't leave her a water bowl till after 3 days of her not eating because I heard that they get all the water they need from the food they eat so I didn't think it was necessary till she stopped eating. I got her about 2 months ago (shes already a part of the family everyone loves her) I fed her a medium sized cricket 5/7 days of the week till 2 and a half weeks ago when she stopped eating. Now I drop a cricket in every 3 days to see if she eats them and she hasn't eaten once since (I remove them after 24 hours) but now I'm scared to do that because I heard that crickets can hurt your T when they are molting and shouldn't fed your T till a week after they have molted since their fangs are soft.

cold blood

Staff member
I wet the moss every week so it stays moist
This isn't good.....you should be keeping it predominantly dry with a water dish....nothing should stay moist...that's a recipe for a dead Avic.

I fed her a medium sized cricket 5/7 days of the week till 2 and a half weeks ago when she stopped eating
Youre feeding way too often...ts do not require food that regularly. A t only needs so much food between molts...hurry that and you simply end up with a plump t that hides away for extended periods of time until its molt cycle catches up with its food intake.

Feed it every 7-14 days in the future.
Now I drop a cricket in every 3 days to see if she eats them
Stop offering food, just wait till after it molts.
now I'm scared to do that because I heard that crickets can hurt your T when they are molting
With most ts this is the case...but because an avic molts at an elevated position, and inside basically a cacoon, they are the one group of spiders that aren't in danger from a roaming cricket....no real worries here.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
You mean 5 days out of 7, she got a cricket? That’s quite a lot of food.

Don’t worry about not eating, they can go a long time without food, but they must have water.

Do yourself a favour and read as much as you can on here about keeping a t, and avics in particular. They have different needs to terrestrial t’s and it’s very important for their health. I put a link to one by venom1080 in my post above and there’s also a good post by viper69 about avic care.

I don’t know what’s wrong with your t (I’m new myself), but until someone more experienced comes along, inform yourself by reading here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

I have to go (it’s 3.30 am here), but I hope your t is ok.

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
This isn't good.....you should be keeping it predominantly dry with a water dish....nothing should stay moist...that's a recipe for a dead Avic.

Youre feeding way too often...ts do not require food that regularly. A t only needs so much food between molts...hurry that and you simply end up with a plump t that hides away for extended periods of time until its molt cycle catches up with its food intake.

Feed it every 7-14 days in the future.

Stop offering food, just wait till after it molts.

With most ts this is the case...but because an avic molts at an elevated position, and inside basically a cacoon, they are the one group of spiders that aren't in danger from a roaming cricket....no real worries here.
Thank you for the advice I'll follow it.

You mean 5 days out of 7, she got a cricket? That’s quite a lot of food.

Don’t worry about not eating, they can go a long time without food, but they must have water.

Do yourself a favour and read as much as you can on here about keeping a t, and avics in particular. They have different needs to terrestrial t’s and it’s very important for their health. I put a link to one by venom1080 in my post above and there’s also a good post by viper69 about avic care.

I don’t know what’s wrong with your t (I’m new myself), but until someone more experienced comes along, inform yourself by reading here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

I have to go (it’s 3.30 am here), but I hope your t is ok.
Ok, thank you I've been watching a lot of youtube videos but everyone seems to say something different. I'll give those posts a read and thank you for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, thank you I've been watching a lot of youtube videos but everyone seems to say something different. I'll give those posts a read and thank you for all the help.
You tube isn't a good place to learn from (with only a few exceptions), its more an entertainment venue....lots of bad info....so much in fact, that the only way to decipher whats good and whats bad is to be experienced...for a beginner its just an over load of questionable and confusing information. Get your info here, from actual keepers that you can interact with.

Welcome to the boards

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
You tube isn't a good place to learn from (with only a few exceptions), its more an entertainment venue....lots of bad info....so much in fact, that the only way to decipher whats good and whats bad is to be experienced...for a beginner its just an over load of questionable and confusing information. Get your info here, from actual keepers that you can interact with.

Welcome to the boards
I've learned more in 2 hours here than hours on youtube I appreciate all the help. I also read that her regurgitation could be throw up but she hasn't ate in a long time would that be possible?

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
An example of an Avic enclosure. Subadult, and sling. Cock bark inside

Petsmart is currently selling ZooMed 8 x 8 x 12 enclosures for 20 bucks

Many times, the enclosures the T's have been living in when we get them, are not the appropriate ones
I can't seem to find an enclosure from petsmart or petco that doesn't have steel mesh