HELP !!!! avic avic might be dead idk

light yagami

Arachnopeon
she is around 2 years old, molted about 2 months ago, i moved her into a new enclosure about 1 month ago. her old one was not meant for an arboreal so she needed a taller one. ever since moving to the new one she has not gone more than halfway to the top of the enclosure and literally only stays next to her one water bowl. there is a small web in the back that she went in for 1 day and then abandoned. she didn’t jump/startle when i opened the door just now and she is acting very dead. also, i fed her a live mealworm yesterday no problems there.

Attachments

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
need a little bit more substrate and also, the behavior is likely to be a result of low humidity - raising the relative humidity in the enclosure and giving them time to settle should do the trick i figure - substrate looks rather dry so they’re likely hovering over the water dish for this reason

light yagami

Arachnopeon
it
need a little bit more substrate and also, the behavior is likely to be a result of low humidity - raising the relative humidity in the enclosure and giving them time to settle should do the trick i figure - substrate looks rather dry so they’re likely hovering over the water dish for this reason
thank you so much!!!!!!! also, i am not trying to argue at all but i thought arboreals aren’t burrowers, so why would she need more substrate?

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
it

thank you so much!!!!!!! also, i am not trying to argue at all but i thought arboreals aren’t burrowers, so why would she need more substrate?
it’s typical for arboreal species when slings to burrow or create a hide on the ground - either way, it’s also key in keeping humidity levels where they need to be

light yagami

Arachnopeon
Can you post a picture of the entire setup?
5367CE0E-897B-4EC6-A774-80489E00F66F.jpeg you can’t really see it but there is cork bark against the wall on the ground and a big space behind the plants for hiding. one of the plants has a bit of her old web as well and she hasn’t been near it.

it’s typical for arboreal species when slings to burrow or create a hide on the ground - either way, it’s also key in keeping humidity levels where they need to be
but the thing is she created an egg sac (unfertilized) over a year ago so she is definitely not a sling

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
she moved earlier. so i didn’t. but do you mind telling me what i did wrong? i never handle her and follow every piece of info that i find on this website.
Enclosure too big probably. Needs time to settle in more than likely. I’d make enclosure adjustments and be patient personally. I’ve had an avic be weird for months. Then finally avic like it should. Lots of factors to consider

Dorifto

He who moists xD
she moved earlier. so i didn’t. but do you mind telling me what i did wrong? i never handle her and follow every piece of info that i find on this website.
Give her some moisture on the substrate. Also place a water dish on top.

light yagami

Arachnopeon
Enclosure too big probably. Needs time to settle in more than likely. I’d make enclosure adjustments and be patient personally. I’ve had an avic be weird for months. Then finally avic like it should. Lots of factors to consider
thank you so much! what adjustments do you recommend?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
thank you so much! what adjustments do you recommend?
I personally keep my avics in 8x8x12 enclosures. They like lots of foliage up top. This gives them the opportunity to mimic their “nests” like in the wild. @DomGom TheFather can give you some good tips as he’s used techniques with leaves that’s had good results. Also @viper69 is the avic guru. He’ll probably give you some good input. I’d personally shrink enclosure and rearrange a bit with cork and foliage. Avics like clutter, ya know.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
First, That enclosure is too big and 8x8x12 max, and second it’s not set up with plant cover in a way that is meaningful for an Aviculariinae to feel secure, hide in, web, and hunt from. You want the plant cover be on and surrounding the bark/wood you place in there. Here’s an example of a juvenile Aviculariinae set up I did recently.
Also give it time to settle in I find Aviculariinae take a little bit longer to fully settle in and act normal after rehouses than other arboreals like Psalmopoeus for example. Mine always take a bit, just be patient and keep the water dish full CF3916B0-696E-4B31-850F-D0689EC72949.jpeg C58151A0-F356-4497-81F4-D18559A5EF12.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see people telling the OP the setup is too big.

Really, too big—>They do live in rain forests, those are larger than any setup- so writing “too big” isn’t helpful.

It ate, that is good.

It was recently transferred- that is the primary issue from what I read

The setup has more cover towards the bottom so I’m not surprised the T is hanging out there.
The cover should be moved towards the top.

Small bit of webbing - IME is usually observed when Avics are introduced into a new home. It can take them a while to settle in and make their tubes usually.

Be careful about relative humidity- if you misr regularly and your air flow is poor- your Avic will die.

I don’t mist mine, my AC is on all the time so my place is very dry. But I do provide water with a dropper for drinking. Many Avics will drink from a dish, but they do not do so regularly- you can’t always rely on a dish.

light yagami

Arachnopeon
I see people telling the OP the setup is too big.

Really, too big—>They do live in rain forests, those are larger than any setup- so writing “too big” isn’t helpful.

It ate, that is good.

It was recently transferred- that is the primary issue from what I read

The setup has more cover towards the bottom so I’m not surprised the T is hanging out there.
The cover should be moved towards the top.

Small bit of webbing - IME is usually observed when Avics are introduced into a new home. It can take them a while to settle in and make their tubes usually.

Be careful about relative humidity- if you misr regularly and your air flow is poor- your Avic will die.

I don’t mist mine, my AC is on all the time so my place is very dry. But I do provide water with a dropper for drinking. Many Avics will drink from a dish, but they do not do so regularly- you can’t always rely on a dish.
Thank you so so so so much!!! So, in your opinion, the setup size is fine? I forgot to mention that it’s a 12x12x16 but I was thinking the same thing, they are meant to live in an entire rainforest. She moved underneath the cork bark in the back of the cage last night. From what I’ve gathered the only thing I need to change is to put hiding spots up high, correct? I can’t just move the bark up there because it will fall but I will definitely look up some videos.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Thank you so so so so much!!! So, in your opinion, the setup size is fine? I forgot to mention that it’s a 12x12x16 but I was thinking the same thing, they are meant to live in an entire rainforest. She moved underneath the cork bark in the back of the cage last night. From what I’ve gathered the only thing I need to change is to put hiding spots up high, correct? I can’t just move the bark up there because it will fall but I will definitely look up some videos.
theres nothing wrong with a 12x12x16/18 - i keep T’s of similar size in them

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
This does NOT apply to members of the avic family...they are what is known as obligate arboreals.

humidity levels dont need to be anywhere and that's not where the op's focus needs to be, although I do agree that dampening the sub isnt a bad idea when its really dry..

can’t really see it but there is cork bark against the wall on the ground
Do not use ground hides for Avics...its akin to giving your dog an arboreal water dish......Avics dont use ground hides, and in fact, an avic spending too much time on the ground is a big red flag.

Add tall wider wood that provides a better, more stable platform for the t to hunt from and stretch out on.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
This does NOT apply to members of the avic family...they are what is known as obligate arboreals.
misspoke in my earlier post, yes

humidity levels dont need to be anywhere and that's not where the op's focus needs to be, although I do agree that dampening the sub isnt a bad idea when its really dry..
i disagree with practice of keeping them in arid conditions - i think it’s possible to keep them humid without “SADS” occurring

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they are meant to live in an entire rainforest
let’s be careful here, it’s unlikely they travel the entire rainforest where they live. But your setup is fine in size. However you will have to make sure it eats, crickets etc hide very easily.

think it’s possible to keep them humid without “SADS” occurring
I’m sure it is as they are from humid areas.

I haven’t seen anyone yet that keeps natural conditions, for Avics successfully.
I’ve often felt if froggers could successfully do so for frogs some dedicated T owner could as well.
Haven’t seen it yet, but hope I will at some
point.

I know someone that keeps seladonia under some humid conditions successfully though. How similar to their native habitat I didn’t. Inquire.