HELP! Are These Mites?

SFay00

Arachnopeon
On my female GBB it looks like there are tiny light brownish dots, almost looks like tiny pieces of sand are on her carapace. I've looked to see if they move and I haven't seen anything. There are also a few tiny single dots on her legs. It is my first tarantula and I would just like to be sure if it is mites or not! Thankyou !

Trenor

Arachnoprince
On my female GBB it looks like there are tiny light brownish dots, almost looks like tiny pieces of sand are on her carapace. I've looked to see if they move and I haven't seen anything. There are also a few tiny single dots on her legs. It is my first tarantula and I would just like to be sure if it is mites or not! Thankyou !
Hard to say without a photo.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
? The only mites I've seen were grain mites ALL over my -way too moist- roach cage. They don't affect the T's I believe, but they can infest an enclosure and bother the T to no end and stress it out. We would definitly need a pic. Do you keep it on dirt, because that could just be dirt from it digging.

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Sorry about that. Thankyou for responding so quickly but can I email you the picture I'm currently using my phone and I couldn't get the photo on to the reply.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Sorry about that. Thankyou for responding so quickly but can I email you the picture I'm currently using my phone and I couldn't get the photo on to the reply.
There should be an "Upload a file" button under the chat-box?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I'm such a newbie to this site sorry
May you get a couple closer angles, I would highly recommend removing those wood-chips as substrate, It isn't suitable for any T really... opt for coco-fiber, untreated topsoil as substrate instead.

Last edited:

SFay00

Arachnopeon
May you get a couple closer angles, I would highly recommend removing those wood-chips as substrate, It isn't suitable for any T really... opt for coco-fiber subsrate instead.
Okay and why isn't suitable?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Okay and why isn't suitable?
Wood-chips are often treated with chemicals during their production and some contain natural pesticide, not to mention abrasive with the chips having jagged ends.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Think about it this way. If this T fell and landed on a wood chip, it would not be good :(. I would go with regular dirt from the pet store. Comes in bricks, and there is so much after wet, you really don't need much more to last a long time. Also, just looks like bits of sand to me. I would really look for movement on those particles to make sure. Also, beautiful T ;)

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Think about it this way. If this T fell and landed on a wood chip, it would not be good :(. I would go with regular dirt from the pet store. Comes in bricks, and there is so much after wet, you really don't need much more to last a long time. Also, just looks like bits of sand to me. I would really look for movement on those particles to make sure. Also, beautiful T ;)
Thankyou very much! I was worrying way too much. I haven't seen any movement. Could I just place dirt or coco fiber over the wood chips ? Should I try and clean off the dots with a q tip or something also ?

lunarae

Arachnobaron
If it was me, I would remove the T and redo your enclosure with new substrate completely. You wouldn't want the T to decide to burrow (as it's possible for that species to do) and then dig up woodchips from the bottom. You may want to stick with Eco-Earth from the petstore so you can change out the substrate ASAP, but for future reference top soil is cheapest and works just as well. Just always check to make sure it doesn't have chemicals or pesticides, then run it through the cricket test as an added measure. (Leave a few crickets in with a sample of the soil for about a week, if they are still alive and thriving and haven't died from old age, then it should be safe to use)

SFay00

Arachnopeon
If it was me, I would remove the T and redo your enclosure with new substrate completely. You wouldn't want the T to decide to burrow (as it's possible for that species to do) and then dig up woodchips from the bottom. You may want to stick with Eco-Earth from the petstore so you can change out the substrate ASAP, but for future reference top soil is cheapest and works just as well. Just always check to make sure it doesn't have chemicals or pesticides, then run it through the cricket test as an added measure. (Leave a few crickets in with a sample of the soil for about a week, if they are still alive and thriving and haven't died from old age, then it should be safe to use)
It says 100% natural on the bag and okay.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
You can't trust 100% natural when it says that on the bag. You have to check the ingredients and even then it's best to do the cricket test. 100% natural just means they didn't add anything on purpose, doesn't mean they didn't do natural fertilizers/pesticides that can cause issues depending on what they are. As well as it means that they took if from their area which could include bits of ceder or other plant matter that have natural insecticides in them and will kill your T.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Yeah, I would just redo it like @lunarae is saying. Wood chips, even if they are safe, are just too risky (at least for me). Also, I would suggest getting bamboo skewers and planting them in the sub. If you put them throughout it's enclosure, it can web way easier and you could get some cool webbing from your GBB ;) Optional of course. I think it will be way less stressful for the spider too, as it can burrow and web to it's heart's content! Btw, if bamboo skewers, then put them diagonally in the middle of the cage with it's hide. Still would want it to move around.