help arachnophopia

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sadly i think i am developing arachnophopia lol. i never thought this would happen ive always loved spider but today i could not hold any of my pets none i was scared stiff after several minutes i finaly held my rosie ..i need help has this happend to any of u and if so how did u get over it

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going sky diving next month, I'm afraid of heights.

I feel your pain. :wall:

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sounds fun thats never been my fear i go cliff diving all the time but man this makes me sad becouse i love spider and now i am terrified

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

i know what you are talking about...the hardest part for me was letting go of the bar!!!my body wouldnt let me do it lol.......

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wander if it happens to alot of people my spider wasnt so bad but my scorpions i just couldnt do it i was terrified.i forced myself to pick up the spider i was horrified for some reason i hope i get over it:confused:

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know what you mean. I went to hold my A. hentzi for the first time, but when she got close to my hand she slapped at me. That's as close as I'm going to get to holding her.:8o
Maybe if I get a younger T it may be easier to handle. :?

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i do not hold my T's they are much happier not knowing i exhist. the ground shakes lightly and it rains crickets thats all they need to know.

the hard part of skydiving for me was balencing on the wheel and waiting for the strap on instructor to clear the door frame.

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wander if it happens to alot of people my spider wasnt so bad but my scorpions i just couldnt do it i was terrified.i forced myself to pick up the spider i was horrified for some reason i hope i get over it:confused:
Maybe you just had a bad day? I would't worry about it too much, it'll probibly pass. You don't have to hold your spiders. I don't. They don't enjoy our company or anything, they are reclusive by nature. But as far as your all of a sudden fear of holding your pets, don't worry about it. Worry will make it worse, and it will more than likly go away as quickly as it came ;)

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sadly i think i am developing arachnophopia lol. i never thought this would happen ive always loved spider but today i could not hold any of my pets none i was scared stiff after several minutes i finaly held my rosie ..i need help has this happend to any of u and if so how did u get over it

Others beat me to it … you don't have to hold them to still really enjoy your spiders.

The thought of just picking any of mine up makes me very nervous (I'm kind of wimpy) but I can't imagine not having them around. Somehow maintenance & transfers are different; that doesn't freak me out... but to just hold them? I personally can't do that.

You'll be fine. Just take good care of them and watch what they do. They didn't want to be held anyway.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Others beat me to it … you don't have to hold them to still really enjoy your spiders.

The thought of just picking any of mine up makes me very nervous (I'm kind of wimpy) but I can't imagine not having them around. Somehow maintenance & transfers are different; that doesn't freak me out... but to just hold them? I personally can't do that.

You'll be fine. Just take good care of them and watch what they do. They didn't want to be held anyway.
I've never held one either, plus I would hate it if my "Rozilly" (M. robustum) resorted to the "spinning back kick to stab with sharp spines" move on one of my tender areas, lol

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i do not hold my T's they are much happier not knowing i exhist. the ground shakes lightly and it rains crickets thats all they need to know.
Agreed!!!

AIRBORNE qualified here, the hardest part was making up my mind that I wanted to get qualified. After that the rest was cake, Uncle Sam keeps you too busy to have any real fear:)

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Way cool! When I used to jump, you couldn't pull a needle out of my butt with a tractor!

There's nothing wrong with fear - it's a natural reaction to certain potentially harmful stimuli. It's called no choice. But how we deal with our fears - this is our choice.

:clap: Don't hold mine either, of course I've got the species you don't want to handle (unless you're a YouTube show off).

i know what you are talking about...the hardest part for me was letting go of the bar!!!my body wouldnt let me do it lol.......
Congrats on that! I had to go a step further and put down the booze too. Took me forever to do it and now I haven't drank for years and years.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yall are right about not haveing to hod them becouse they are recluses.however that is there reltions ship to us and not our relationship to them .i do care about my tarrantulas but for me its also a dual relationship.it also gives me a thrill tobe able to hold the creatures i dont hold them often may once every to weeks buts its some thing i do for my part of the relationship

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't mind handling my arachnids as long as they don't pose any sort of warning signs prior to me grabbing them. i love holding my Avics, rosie, aureo, and chocoana, but i never hold my female imperator or any of my haplo's. it's just common sense.

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see what you are saying and I agree that for a lot of people this would be the case. But I can see the reasons for handling as well. I think it is easier to form an attachment with something you can handle and touch, rather than sitting behind glass all day.

I know what you mean. I went to hold my A. hentzi for the first time, but when she got close to my hand she slapped at me. That's as close as I'm going to get to holding her.
I know what you mean-I did a substrate change for my Aussie T yesterday, and I had her out on the floor, determined to let her walk on my hand. She showed no signs of aggression, but just as she was about to climb up, I chickened out. And she is only 2.5 inches! Of course, the prsopect of receiving a medically signifcant bite put me off...;P

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear that, it must be very frustrating. I show respect for all animals (even the ones that creep me out) for they all individually hold spot in nature. Its funny, right now I'd never want to own a pede, but three months ago I said the same thing about scorps; now I have two with more on the way. Its funny how these things work.

I belive that education is the key to overcoming any fear or dislike. The more you know what you are scared of and why, the better chance you have of over coming/lessening your fear.
Posted this else where, it seams to fit here as well. I for one am not a fan of holding my T's eithor. Hope this helps. ~ Rex