Help Appreciated on future T's

Mlotec

Arachnopeon
Going to try and keep this short and sweet. Would like to order a few more T's right now only have G.rosea, G.aureostriata, and a G.pulchra. So the sp. of T's I would like to order, from what i read is going to be a big jump in attitude and some not being terrestrial.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Psalmopoeus irminia
Pterinochilus murinus
Phormictopus cancerides

Here is my questions before I order anything.

- On the Old worlders do you judge pre-molt just by the stoppage of food intake? Only reason I ask is Grammostola give me indication of blocking burrow or the black abdomen a big giveaway its soon going to molt.

- I use small Kritter Keepers for the 2" G.aureostriata and 1.5" G.pulchra this should work fine if i just setup on side to give height, for the P.cambridgei and P.irminia if they are 1-2"?

- Phormictopus cancerides are they fairly visible unlike (possibly) the other 3 on the list? (One thing I like about my trio they sit in open even if they have a burrow made,and even if lids removed vibrations etc)

- Im fairly certain on the temp/humidity of the P.murinus but the other three on list not so certain what is recommended?

The reason for the big jump is originally was going to collect just the Grammostola's and move on to more aggressive, but eye-pleasing T's from there. I don't want a massive collection, the T's on the list are ones originally wanted but figured I would start with something easy so that I better understand the overall husbandry (sp?) of T's. People come over and want to see my T's but whoever comes over to see your dog or cat right? Might as well collect the most eye-appealing as long as they are in my realm of being able to take care of them.

Anyways, with all that being said appreciate any help/advice on future purchase. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can keep everything on that list just like you keep P.murinus.
Pre molt for me I judge by food refusal, I kinda keep track of time between molts to so I can narrow down the time frame a molt might be coming. But with my P.murinus, P. irminia and my P. cambridgei they always suprise me for the most part when they molt. They do seem to have a color fade when molt is near though so thats a great sign as well that a molt is near.

I have never owned Phormictopus cancerides so someone else would have to tell you about that one.

The only thing I can think of is at 1-2" be careful with the KK lids. They may be able to squeeze out of the slits and take a self guided tour of the house. :D

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since Ryan covered the rest, I'll tell you a bit about P.cancerides since I have had 4(2 female and 2 male) in the past. I gave them deep enough substrate to burrow in, but you don't have to. They will gladly except a hide, such as a flower pot, half log, or anything else you can think of. Give them a waterdish and every once in awhile overflow the waterdish to keep a little humid. Don't keep it dry like a G.rosea and don't keep it humid like a T.blondi, right in between would be best. Good luck.

Mlotec

Arachnopeon
Appreciate the help that takes care of my concerns, thanks again!