Help again!?!?!?

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
I have an LP I think she's in premolt she has gone in her little cave and closed off the opening. I do check on her from time to time but I've noticed a kinda white film on the substrate around her water dish and on the back of her abdomen it looks like she has stripes on it.just would like to know if I need to do any thing

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here is a complete, exhaustive list of what you need to do while your spider is in premolt. Get ready, because it's a doozy.
  • Leave it alone
  • Keep a full, clean water dish at all times
  • Leave it alone
The white film is probably just the substrate drying out. Some substrates change color if they get wet and then dry out.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Looks like residue from evaporation to me.
Basically any "leftovers" from the water that used to be in the substrate from overfilling.

Do u use filtered water or mineral water or regular tap water or what?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Here is a complete, exhaustive list of what you need to do while your spider is in premolt. Get ready, because it's a doozy.
  • Leave it alone
  • Keep a full, clean water dish at all times
  • Leave it alone
The white film is probably just the substrate drying out. Some substrates change color if they get wet and then dry out.
Should prob mention "leave it alone" a few extra times tbh. Not so much for this keeper but in general to drive the point home to anyone feeing the need to screw w/their T's in premoult

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Should prob mention "leave it alone" a few extra times tbh. Not so much for this keeper but in general to drive the point home to anyone feeing the need to screw w/their T's in premoult
If you want a fun drinking game, watch my video on molting and do a shot every time I say "Leave it alone."

Pretty sure you'd die. I'd die.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I cringe every time I read someone "checks on" their T(s) while in premolt or buried. You wouldn't go poking your nose in a wild bear's cave while it's hibernating....okay I take that back cause honestly there's some fool on here who probably would.... Anywho there's no need to check on it. I promise you it knows what it's doing in there and as others have said just keep a full dish of water at all times. I wouldn't worry much about the white stuff. if you're worried about it take out the water dish and give it a good soaking in hot water then dry it off and put some fresh water in. I use distilled water for all my animals and don't have the white stuff on my water dishes.

Michaelaz

Arachnopeon
I do leave her alone I've read it could take up to a month she's a year old but this is her first molt with me she ate all the way till she locked her self in her cave I do not mess with her just peak into her cave. She does come out even tho I have not seen her but I can tell she's been out. YES I DO leave her alone

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've read it could take up to a month
A month? Sorry mate, spiders can be in premolt for the better part of a year :p Just depends on the individual and the species. I have an adult L. parahybana that has been in premolt for almost four months now.

I do not mess with her just peak into her cave.
That is messing with her. When we say leave it alone, we mean literally do not do anything other than filling/cleaning the water dish.