Help, Active T's?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
your right man, I'm sorry. Sometimes in the heat of debate I can say things I don't mean. If we can agree to disagree here, I'm sure there are plenty of things we CAN agree on. I meant no offense, and if you have the experience you say you do, I can't deny your opinion as a valid one. As a matter of fact, apart from some of the more immature things I now regret saying, I rather enjoyed our discussion and hope I haven't put you off to more in the future. Who knows, we may even be on the same side. So how about it? Can you forgive hotheadedness?
Hey lol I am one that loves to have heated "tiffs" if you will. I find it to be great mental exercise.

No offense taken. How many Ts do you have now by the way? With my next shipment I am going to be getting close to crazy town at close to 500. I can do it but the slings take up some time when it comes to feeding and watering....

Another answer to you original question is own tons of Ts..... that way something is always going on, molting feeding maturing egg sacs mating.... not in that order ofcourse...

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha! Thats what I'm talking about. I actually have a feeling were gonna get along alright. Matter of fact, if your ever in the Atlanta area, your always welcome to stop buy, have a few beers, check out my collection, talk spiders, whatever. Anyway, I've thinned out the old collection as of recent, but I'm sure I'll eventually break down and order another 50 slings. I'm not sure I've ever had as many as you though. 1100, Jesus man. Right now I'm working with 2 blondis, 1 H. gigas, 1 C. fimbriatus, like 5 or 6 OBT's (love those), multiple smithis and auratums in various stages of life (I must confess that I also have a weakness for brachys, and I know you can dig the auratums!), uhhhhh... only 1 rosie believe it or not, N. chromatus, N. coloratovillosus, a pair of irminias I really hope to breed, some G. aureostriata in various stages, an old female C. Crawshayi whose one nasty b**** but still my favorite, of course multiple chromatopelma...

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But of course I really need to get with the Xenesthis thing, just like all the other tightwads who haven't already. Beautiful man.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have two gravid smithis right now... one throwing webbing all over the place.... and that is a very good sign. She is still a good 5 months from a molt so I am getting excited again I always do when I am close to getting a sac. I am going to bed now, I am starting to have to blink really long cause my eyes burn. Ill catch up later.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck there chief. With a little of it you'll have more than you can handle over there in a few months, and those smithi slings still fetch a good price!

DFW Tfan

Arachnopeon
My g. auerostriata moves his substrate around every night.
My aureostriata is always 'engineering', but spends a fair amount of time out of her hide.

I have a B. bohemei that is fairly active, and is pretty as well.

Hairy Houdini, my P. murinus is also very active and runs up and down between leaves and down on the strate.

Hope that gives a few suggestions.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
'Active' T's

Anyway, to get back ON TOPIC,

A. geniculata
As mentioned in numerous threads, A. geniculatas make great display t's for many reasons. They love staying out in the open (mine walk the tank more than my blondis or cambridgeis), they're briliantly colored, they eat as much as blondis, almost, and they rarely retreat into their hides. In fact, none of mine even use the hide provided. What a waste of 69 cents (clay pot). haha..

T. blondi
My blondis are very active! They are always in a different spot in the cage. They tend to retreat into their hides more often than not, but for the most part, if undisturbed, they stay out in the open and love exploring.

I only glanced through this thread but it seems to me either you're curious as to what the most "active" tarantula merely for curiosities sake, or you are looking to get an "active" t.

Hope you find what you're looking for! I could go on but honestly, I don't want to.. haha..

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I already have my own opinions about what species qualify as "active". I just kind of wanted to know what other peoples experiences had led them to believe. Thanks for the input.

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you HAVE to measure the humidity? :? I've never heard of having to do that...not with any T species. Very few people even use hygrometers, there really is no need unless you're planning on conducting scientific experiments in which you need precise measurements.
I haven't got a clue on how everyone else does it if they don't use a hygrometer, but I use one to see that the humidity is at the required 70-80% instead of 40 or 50.
These three T's I just got are the first ones I've had to set up a terra for myself etc, and I don't quite see any different way of knowing that the humidity is right than using a hygrometer.
But, please, tell me what I don't know, I'm all new to this and I'm all about learning here ;)

bkirchner81

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah- some species DO require a higher humidity level if you want to SIMULATE THEIR NATURAL ENVIRONMENT..
Some people on here aren't the LEAST bit concerned with that- most of those being too busy tryin to cram as many T's as possible into a closet. :mad:

If you have a tropical species- get a small digital hygrometer from a cigar shop (it should be around $20 or so- if it's much cheaper you will get what you pay for).

Then u will need a way to add humidity, unless your house maintains 80%... :D . Try searching for "tropicaire humidifier" and you'll find a thread with some good, simple ideas like placing an air stone in the water dish.

:rolleyes: