help ! A. versicolor

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Antilles is hanging from its own webb, that it has webbed against a leaf, upsidedown and on its back. Is it usual for these pinktoes to molt off the ground like this? I can detect som movement but not alot. Its legs at spread out and not underneath so thats a good sign. Just let me know what yall think

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is not unusual at all for aboreals especially the Avics to molt in their web or off the floor, enjoy your T! :D

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive had avics molt like this it worries me but dont touch it as it is soft. One lived no issues the other died I think from the fall and being soft at the time.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
molting

sounds pretty usual for an arboreal. The T should come thru ok.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well it hasnt molted yet, it is now on the substrate, but im kind of worried because its not int molting possition, its right side up now, and its legs are slightly bent almost underneath. I forgot to mention earlier that its only a 3/4 of an inch. If it was going to molt shouldnt it be done now?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
molting?

Just a few questions, are you sure the sling didnt fall off the web? Is her shed nearby (if she molted)? The molt should have completed in around an hour IME, unless the sling encountered a problem.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or your sling may just be dead its sad but A. versicolor are not the most hardy T. as I said before mine died Im not sure why sometimes slings just dont make it. how is the humidity in the tank? it may have had an issue molting with not enough humidity.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well like I said it was hanging upside down in its web from two legs and now its on the ground with its legs under it. Humidity was okay, I assume, I keep it farely moist at the bottum of its spice container, so I dont really know what happened. It just stopped eating about a week ago and I just assumed it was about to molt. But it is still motionless at the bottom right now. LOL is there any way that there could be a refund on this thing lol? This really sucks, this is my first one to go. Anyone else had a problem keeping these versicolors? Someone told me they were kinda fragile.

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
all avic slings tend to be more fragile than, say, brachys or grammostola. sometimes they seem to die for no apparent reason. so far, i've raised 7 of them from first instar and never lost a single one.

they seem to do better if you don't feed them too much (mine get 1-2 small prey items once a week) and don't keep them too wet. i mist mine twice a week and their containers dry out nearly completely before the next misting. never had a molting problem with that. but what's probably the most important thing: ventilation! they die off really quickly in stagnant air, my avic sling enclosures have ventilation holes on all sides except the bottom.