hello

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
I've been lurking here for quite some time. But heres an observation. I think its great how helpful people are and have noticed theres some experts here that are extremely helpful in explaining in detail the needs of problems. I get a hint of impulse buying by some. Some even have no idea how to care for it, this after it was bought. I also think some people think of them as pets in a conventional sense. Giving them names (thats no big deal), and perhaps the need to take them out and pet them. I'd just like to point out this is likely only satisfying the owner, not the spider. I know the T hobby is fun compared to say herps, because they can be kept in lot less size housing, cheaper, and dont require UV light. But do not impulse by them at dozens at a time if your not equipped, prepared, and well researched on what your getting, thats all I'm saying. Also dont neglect the ones you already have. I have seen in the herp hobby, some are like addicted, they lose interest in what they already have so HAVE to buy a new one.
Anyways, just thought I'd finally register.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Say it aint so...

I get a hint of impulse buying by some.
Impulse buying by tarantula enthusiasts...no way! I sometimes send my wife to get crickets because I know I'll come home with something extra.;)

They all end up with great homes though. Welcome to the boards.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Whammy_Sosa
I've been lurking here for quite some time. But heres an observation. I think its great how helpful people are and have noticed theres some experts here that are extremely helpful in explaining in detail the needs of problems. I get a hint of impulse buying by some. Some even have no idea how to care for it, this after it was bought. I also think some people think of them as pets in a conventional sense. Giving them names (thats no big deal), and perhaps the need to take them out and pet them. I'd just like to point out this is likely only satisfying the owner, not the spider. I know the T hobby is fun compared to say herps, because they can be kept in lot less size housing, cheaper, and dont require UV light. But do not impulse by them at dozens at a time if your not equipped, prepared, and well researched on what your getting, thats all I'm saying. Also dont neglect the ones you already have. I have seen in the herp hobby, some are like addicted, they lose interest in what they already have so HAVE to buy a new one.
Anyways, just thought I'd finally register.
You think alot. Thanks for telling us how to conduct ourselves properly in the hobby :rolleyes: Its nice to know we finally have someone here who can be our moral compass and pass judgement. You might want to think before you make an observation that comes across as a generalization, condescending and preachy, thats all I'm saying. Welcome to the board. Anyways, just thought I'd finally say that ;P ;P

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the board.
I hope you find we are more then brain dead dolts.
Now that I feel put in my place. Nothing like condencendance to make a person go. "Wow, I am Such an ass. This guy knows me Lots more then I do!"
I think I'm gonna go impusle buy a few hundred inverts. Let all my old ones starve, because I am irresponsable and when I am bored think Nothing of my existing obligations towards my animals...Then I'll put them all in the wrong conditions.
Pet them till their fur comes off Just because I know how much they hate that.
And put them in my will to inherite my vast fortunes becuase they are such better then family type pets....
While I'm at that I might as well give my children sharp objects to run with and straws for their bottles of amonia to making sipping Fun!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr internet, we ALL know that the sox are wayyyy better...just because they haven't won in a little while doesn't mean anything!(i live in a small town called lake station...about 30 minutes from chicago...its near gary and valporaiso).

Risto

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
I'm not here to make enemies. :(
I dont quite understand why a post re enforcing the idea of knowing all you can before you purchase is made a mockery of. I dont think I'm smarter than anyone else here, nor try to be, in fact, I'm sure a lot here are smarter. There is no reason to take offense here. Perhaps I got off on the wrong foot. Maybe I should have put it more bluntly. Taking hte opposite side of the spectrum. Some individulals will randomly buy a spider in a petstore without even knowing its species or temprement, yet alone requirements. This is all I was getting at.

So hopefully the condescending moron is still welcome here. ;P ;P

And I am NOT a cubs fan, just like the name.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some individulals will randomly buy a spider in a petstore without even knowing its species or temprement, let alone requirements because it's misslabled. Or Not labled. Unknown, in bad condition and takle ity home knowing that they can still give it a better life then where they were no matter the Unknown circumstances.
And knowing they can find the information to make the best home for the creature they can.

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Nixy
Some individulals will randomly buy a spider in a petstore without even knowing its species or temprement, let alone requirements because it's misslabled. Or Not labled. Unknown, in bad condition and takle ity home knowing that they can still give it a better life then where they were no matter the Unknown circumstances.
And knowing they can find the information to make the best home for the creature they can.
I love T's myself, but am not buying up pet store T's all over the city to save them from the evil pet stores. Its a noble cause for sure though, there is a pet store locally that does not specialize in tarantulas but do carry a few. Theres always about 5 crickets running around at all times and a sponge in the dish. Like anything, exceptions can be found at the extremes, which is how I feel about this. I think "Look at this cool looking spider" is a more common reason to buy a spider on the spot than "i shall rescue this T from the pet shop." I'm not here to be argumentative actually. :? My first post went bad.

I do agree T's can be rescued from their abuse at petshops who are clueless to their care. The experienced hobbyist would perhaps already know the species if its mislabeled and know a thing or two about their care already. I commend those that rescue T's in this manner.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I nver said anyone was or had intentions of buying out petstores to rescue.
I am saying that is one of the reasons some Unknown T Is purchased impulsivly.
Your post just come opff with the clear feel of.
"There are a few experts worth listening to here. But the rest of your are moronic irresponsable twits and I need to point that out to you."
And yep.
It piqued me.
And Pulled up some of the B***c in me.
And like Buspirone said You might want to think before you make an observation that comes across as a generalization, condescending and preachy.

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
I nver said anyone was or had intentions of buying out petstores to rescue.
I am saying that is one of the reasons some Unknown T Is purchased impulsivly.
Your post just come opff with the clear feel of.
"There are a few experts worth listening to here. But the rest of your are moronic irresponsable twits and I need to point that out to you."
And yep.
It piqued me.
And Pulled up some of the B***c in me.
And like Buspirone said You might want to think before you make an observation that comes across as a generalization, condescending and preachy.
Sorry, I thought your intent was to say it was a better situation from an experienced T owner to not let the spider live in the care of petshop owners who have little if any knowledge of their care.

I actually was not whatsover trying come off that way at all. In fact, the whole community here I felt was the ones I was praising, and the twits as you put it are in the extreme minority. I actually expected a warm welcome, but I'll delete this whole thing in a few. I definately didnt come here to create a problem.

I'll say I think this board is great the way people help each other, and I wanted to become a part of it and decided to register.

But I will say after seeing how you feel and re reading my post, there is a definately sentence that does appear like I'm saying only the few experts on great and the entire board are morons. Dumb me. I'm far from the T expert myself, in fact, thats why I read all the posts here, to learn.
Well, sorry to disrupt the community here.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hon your not.
Realy.
Stay and post and chat.
If you get hit by a zinger.
hell we all have.
I know I have stepped on a few toes and I'm not shutting up.
LOL.
Hows about this.
We start over.

Hello.
I'm Nix.
Welcome to the board.
Whatcha got in your lil leggy baby family?
And pleased to make your aquantance.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Whammy_Sosa
I've been lurking here for quite some time.
I knew it! I should have had my overlords all over the place looking for this renegade lurker.

Anyway, I agree that you got off the wrong foot. Your first step should have been the left foot. If I were your drill sergeant, you would have had to do 100 push-ups.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I still think the Tarantula they're selling at my local Petstore labeled "Pink Beauty" is a Pink Zebra Beauty. The funny thing is that it's placed right next to two other Pink Zebra Beauties and it looks the same.

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Defense posture

Sometimes you gotta say F it! You posted a touchy thread, so many of us took the T defense position. Nixy actually sunk her fangs in a bit - just a dry bite :D . Welcome Whammy, I hear what you're sayin' - some people post urgent-help-my-ass-quick threads when they get a T impulsively. I'm sure you've made impulse buys, maybe not with a T, but probably something else. Your thread was a bit impulsive, no? Oh well, F it! Nice to have any one on board!

Peace

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just hope I'm not one of those people referred to as being an idiot or I'm just going to have to start being a kitty with a whip. You have to start somewhere. I don't think anyone here, not even the experts, has the right to judge anyone. Everybody's had a first time in one form or the other.

Whammy_Sosa

Arachnopeon
I feel better already. I thought I royally screwed myself. And I do buy on impulse, not spiders but CDs. Man, do I spend way too much money on music. I also coughed up $2000 on the spot for a guitar before. Had to run to the bank and came right back to get it.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you make valid points. No need to apologize.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome Whammy,
I agree with Tranz. You've been looking and reading, and you made some personal observations. Its cool, no big deal..;)