Hello There!

Jewels

Arachnopeon
This is my very first thread ever on my very first forum! I'm so excited! lol Seriously though, I'm new to the site and figured I would share some of my babies with you guys and gals. I have more feeding videos than I do pictures though. That's where the fun is anyway right? Once I figure this out I will post those videos for your viewing pleasure. I've been collecting for a little over 2 years now and have raised all but one from a sling. Those fruit flies were the worst! Flightless...pfft not the ones I got lol I currently have 17 different species as of the moment. If I were smart I would have tried to buy a Male and a female at the same time for breeding. That would be awesome, to have little baby spiders that I could sell to you good people. Maybe I can find someone here to buy some juveniles from? Anywho, that is enough of me for a bit. Can't wait to see where this takes me!

Attachments

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Welcome to the site! I have about the same amount of species too (give or take) :)

The catch with buying males and females at the same time for breeding is that males mature way faster than females. So it wouldn't coincide. But finding a larger female and buying a few slings at the same time would be the best bet. I did that with my Brachypelma hamorii. Got a sub adult (about 3 inches) that hatched a few years ago and have a sling as well. With a bit of luck the bigger one is female and the smaller one male!

Again welcome to the boards! There is a lot of knowledge and good folks here :)

Jewels

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the site! I have about the same amount of species too (give or take) :)

The catch with buying males and females at the same time for breeding is that males mature way faster than females. So it wouldn't coincide. But finding a larger female and buying a few slings at the same time would be the best bet. I did that with my Brachypelma hamorii. Got a sub adult (about 3 inches) that hatched a few years ago and have a sling as well. With a bit of luck the bigger one is female and the smaller one male!

Thank you for that warm welcome! That's great to hear about the males honestly cuz most of mine are about 2 to 3 inches. Now if they are male or female is up for debate. I will positive that one is a female and then the next time I look at it...its a male lol I've done some research but trying to guess the difference for me is like feeling around in a dark unfamiliar room for the light switch. I have tried, but it all kinda looks the same to me. That's at the top on my to do list before I buy anymore. If you or anyone else has some info on it I would be forever in your debt. I was going to sell them once they got big enough but I love them, so they stay with me. But breeding would be loads of fun I think.

Jewels

Arachnopeon

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Welcome aboard! Just remember not to poke the more OBT-like members (you'll figure it out) and you'll be fine...

:D Just kidding! Sounds like your off to a rollicking start and have already got quite a bit of experience under your belt. Happy keeping!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Jewels

Arachnopeon
Welcome aboard! Just remember not to poke the more OBT-like members (you'll figure it out) and you'll be fine...

:D Just kidding! Sounds like your off to a rollicking start and have already got quite a bit of experience under your belt. Happy keeping!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Haha! OBT- like members! I will be sure to watch myself lol Thank you for the friendly welcome. I do have some experience but not as much as I'd like. That's why I'm here though. Well that and to meet new people with similar interests that can carry on a good conversation. Thanks again for the welcome and it's nice to meet you

Thekla

Arachnoprince
This is my very first thread ever on my very first forum! I'm so excited! lol Seriously though, I'm new to the site and figured I would share some of my babies with you guys and gals. I have more feeding videos than I do pictures though. That's where the fun is anyway right? Once I figure this out I will post those videos for your viewing pleasure. I've been collecting for a little over 2 years now and have raised all but one from a sling. Those fruit flies were the worst! Flightless...pfft not the ones I got lol I currently have 17 different species as of the moment. If I were smart I would have tried to buy a Male and a female at the same time for breeding. That would be awesome, to have little baby spiders that I could sell to you good people. Maybe I can find someone here to buy some juveniles from? Anywho, that is enough of me for a bit. Can't wait to see where this takes me!
Welcome to the boards! :)
May I ask where you got your information on how to keep tarantulas before coming here? It's just that a lot of care sheets on the internet or from pet shops are completely wrong, unfortunately.
I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, but for example, your Avic seems to have no decoration (I wouldn't be able to take such a "clean" picture of one of my Avics, there would always be some webbing or foliage involved ;)). Would you mind posting pictures of your enclosures?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Welcome to an addictive hobby! AB is great when you need assistance and advice! AB no doubt saved a few of mine over the years (or at least helped me provide better conditions).... :)

Jewels

Arachnopeon
Welcome to an addictive hobby! AB is great when you need assistance and advice! AB no doubt saved a few of mine over the years (or at least helped me provide better conditions).... :)
Thank you! I'm hoping to do the same as you and get tips and tricks to improve or elongate their lives. I'm very impressed with how responsive and friendly people have been

Welcome to the boards! :)
May I ask where you got your information on how to keep tarantulas before coming here? It's just that a lot of care sheets on the internet or from pet shops are completely wrong, unfortunately.
I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, but for example, your Avic seems to have no decoration (I wouldn't be able to take such a "clean" picture of one of my Avics, there would always be some webbing or foliage involved ;)). Would you mind posting pictures of your enclosures?
Thank you for the welcome! Most of the information I got was from theraphosidae.be I believe is the site name. I'm not a wiki fan by any means. That picture was taken actually when I first got her. She was in a catch cup I believe. She has since been upgraded. As most of them have had as they grow. I was able to take some really great pictures of them last night for you guys. I also got some really cool shots of some of the Ts too. A little brush with a paint brush and they were all too "happy" to obliged. We are working on rehousing a few of our bigger Ts and I will post those once we are finished. The only one I wont rehouse is Hermes ( Stromatopelma calceatum) cuz frankly that guy scares me haha as far as I'm concerned hes comfortable and so am I with a double locking lid.
In order below:
Avicularia avicularia
Grammostola rosea
Cant remember what the name for the third. I'll ask my hubby and let y'all know. Its brown something lol
Ceratogyrus marshalli
Avicularia avicularia (again cuz that's a great picture)
Stromatopelma calceatum
Herteroscodra maculata
Idiothele mira
Poecilotheria regalis x2
Ceratogyrus marshalli
Avicularia avicularia (again sorry but what an awesome picture!)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Welcome! My only suggestion just starting out here is before you post use the search function, post in the correct thread and read the rules (each thread pretty much has their own particular ones) or the ABPD will ding you. Follow that and you will be fine. Hope you have a great experience!

Jewels

Arachnopeon
Welcome! My only suggestion just starting out here is before you post use the search function, post in the correct thread and read the rules (each thread pretty much has their own particular ones) or the ABPD will ding you. Follow that and you will be fine. Hope you have a great experience!
Thank you! I havent messed up yet have I? Lol you've got me worried now haha

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Thank you! I havent messed up yet have I? Lol you've got me worried now haha
nah your good, I messed up when I first started and got salty for a while. Just trying to save you the headache lol

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thanks for providing pictures. Alas, your enclosures are far from perfect.

The one for the Avic isn't appropriate for a true arboreal T at all. She (?) needs a tree-like structure where she can hunt from and relax as well, along with loads of fake foliage around it to make her feel safe and secure.
I see you have her in a kritter keeper, so, ventilation should be adequate, but in the other thread about your OBT you said you would keep all your Ts kinda moist "to help with moulting". How moist do you keep your Avic? There seems to be a lot of moist/wet (?) moss in the enclosure. I'm asking because they should be kept on bone-dry substrate with only a water dish and an occasional spritz of water onto their webbing or the sides for drinking purposes. Stuffy conditions are the no 1 killer for Avics.

As for your G. rosea... I can't really see how tall the enclosure is, but there seems to be a lot of vertical height, which could be fatal if she climbs and falls onto that rock. Especially with heavy-bodied terrestrials, you shouldn't have more than 1,5X DLS of height between the substrate and the top of the enclosure.
Also, what kind of lid do you have there? If it's a mesh lid like with the S. calceatum I'd recommend replacing it with an acrylic sheet with drilled holes for ventilation in it. They can get their tarsal claws stuck in a mesh lid and get seriously hurt in the process.

And because you said you're going to rehouse your bigger Ts I won't comment on the size of the other enclosures. ;)

Anyway, I would strongly recommend reading this thread, it contains tons of useful information, especially on Avic care. :)
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/
And @Tomoran's youtube channel and blog are always a great source to get information on proper care and husbandry.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

With fastgrowing speicies you can always hold off feeding for juvenile males making them mature before females. But often if one is buying a bunch they are siblings and breeding siblings is not that wise in "genetic terms"

Jewels

Arachnopeon
Thanks for providing pictures. Alas, your enclosures are far from perfect.

The one for the Avic isn't appropriate for a true arboreal T at all. She (?) needs a tree-like structure where she can hunt from and relax as well, along with loads of fake foliage around it to make her feel safe and secure.
I see you have her in a kritter keeper, so, ventilation should be adequate, but in the other thread about your OBT you said you would keep all your Ts kinda moist "to help with moulting". How moist do you keep your Avic? There seems to be a lot of moist/wet (?) moss in the enclosure. I'm asking because they should be kept on bone-dry substrate with only a water dish and an occasional spritz of water onto their webbing or the sides for drinking purposes. Stuffy conditions are the no 1 killer for Avics.

As for your G. rosea... I can't really see how tall the enclosure is, but there seems to be a lot of vertical height, which could be fatal if she climbs and falls onto that rock. Especially with heavy-bodied terrestrials, you shouldn't have more than 1,5X DLS of height between the substrate and the top of the enclosure.
Also, what kind of lid do you have there? If it's a mesh lid like with the S. calceatum I'd recommend replacing it with an acrylic sheet with drilled holes for ventilation in it. They can get their tarsal claws stuck in a mesh lid and get seriously hurt in the process.

And because you said you're going to rehouse your bigger Ts I won't comment on the size of the other enclosures. ;)

Anyway, I would strongly recommend reading this thread, it contains tons of useful information, especially on Avic care. :)
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/
And @Tomoran's youtube channel and blog are always a great source to get information on proper care and husbandry.
Thanks for your reply! :)) I realize that my enclosures are not perfect but its not for lack of trying believe me. In the Avic enclosure I made a log for her (picture below) but she hated it! I've tried a few things but she prefers the one that I have her in the most so far. She has had 4 enclosures made for her so far. :/ As for as the G Rosea she is in a 5 gal tank. Which I know is too big for her and I was at one point worried that she would indeed hurt herself if she fell. But in the 15 years I've had her she has done just fine and happy even in her enclosure. At one point she was in a 20 gal tank when I knew nothing about Ts. Lol 20 gal smh what was I thinking right? The lady never moved away from her hide so we downsized. She has never fallen that I've seen and she has shown no signs of stress or pain. A mess lid does cover the tank and at this point I'm not looking to change that. As she really doesn't climb anymore unless we disturb her. Lol my other enclosures are awesome! They are growing out of them at the moment and they do need to be rehoused but I will reuse them for my smaller Ts. They are roughly 32 ounce glass containers with 5.5 inches of height. They dont seem to be stressed and they are not so big that they are confined. Thank you for the link. I will definitely look into that so I can provide a better enclosure for my Avic. We just gave them water last night before we took the pictures. Alot of people have been saying to keep most enclosures dry but this was not known to me. I will adjust how much water I give my Ts in the sub but most if the time, it is dry as there is as you said there is alot of ventilation. We always allow the sub to dry out before we mist it again. I was just worried about the molting process and i didnt want to be the reason why they got stuck. Just overly cautious I guess. It does seem like you know your stuff though, so thank you for taking time to shed some light on the situation. :))

Attachments

fried rice

Arachnoknight
In your enclosures for your terrestrial tarantulas only use cork bark for them to hide under. The only decorations you should have in your tarantula enclosures are plastic plants. Moss is fine though.

Jewels

Arachnopeon
With fastgrowing speicies you can always hold off feeding for juvenile males making them mature before females. But often if one is buying a bunch they are siblings and breeding siblings is not that wise in "genetic terms"
Yeah, inbreeding is never a good idea. However the feeding idea is pretty great. I'm gonna have to get a notebook so I can keep track of all this great info. You guys are ☆☆rockstars!! ☆☆