Hello there guys PLZ HELP ME IM NEW!!!

crawley07

Arachnopeon
Hello there i just got my Versicolor female and amazonica sex is uknown for that one problem is i can't get them to come in my hand im terrified whenever i try to handle the versicolor she tries to jump ... and i got a humidafier in my room..they ate last friday...when i recieved them...can you guys give me some tips did i do something wrong? i have them in different cages? should i try to handle them ? or no? because i heard avicularias were friendly? plz help me guys...

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First of all welcome to the boards. :)
I wouldn't hold any species of tarantula, the risk of the tarantula getting hurt from a fall is not worth it personally. You didn't do anything wrong, avics just love to jump. Avics are pretty docile and have a mild venom; I still don't recommend handling it though since it is unnecessary stress to your tarantula.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello there i just got my Versicolor female and amazonica sex is uknown for that one problem is i can't get them to come in my hand im terrified whenever i try to handle the versicolor she tries to jump ... and i got a humidafier in my room..they ate last friday...when i recieved them...can you guys give me some tips did i do something wrong? i have them in different cages? should i try to handle them ? or no? because i heard avicularias were friendly? plz help me guys...
Dont handle them at all, then. Tarantulas are not apet to play with.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, and welcome :)

Some tarantulas don't mind being handled, and others just won't like it at all.

Since you mentioned you just got them on Friday, I suggest you give them a couple of weeks to get settled in.
They need time to get comfortable in their new sorroundings, and for them to start webbing them, and making them their own.

At this point they are probably still a bit stressed by the change of homes, so just give them time.

Try again in about two weeks, but if you see they are just too scared then don't force them. We don't want you to end up bitten :(

I personally only handle my tarantulas when I rehoused them, or to check them. Other than than that I let them be, and admire them from afar :)

Good luck with your new babies :)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although many are against handling, it is somthing you can do. But yes, wait a and let them settle in. And don't hold them unless your confident, If you are scared you may accidently hurt it because of natural reflex. And if you do feel confident and want to hold it, be very low to the ground so if it jumps, it dosn't fall. And be CALM. But again, wait and let it settle in.

crawley07

Arachnopeon
thank you guys

thank you guys i will post some pics up and you know i am new to this so do u guys mind if i add u guys on? i won't handle them until i read the tarantula guide and offcourse as i feel more confident...but i just don't wanna hurt them and neither do i wanna be hurt...and i see alot of videos on youtube people handling their tarantulas?? how is that possible?

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HI, I tried to send you a message, but it says you've exceeded the space for messages.

I'm sure you've gotten some excellent advice already but this is my 2 cents.

It's a hard balance controlling the humidity because if you have too much of it you'll end up with stagnant air and mold.

How big are your tarantulas?

Depending on how big they are, the humidity they'll need.
When they are slings (spiderlings) they need a bit more humidity, but once they are older they can be okay with semi-dry substrate as long as they have a bowl of water.

The temperature, I made a "hot box" which my breeder recommended. It's pretty much an aquarium tank on it's side, with a heat mat on the inside of it. I lined it up with foam board to retain the temps., and then I put the tarantulas container inside it. I added a lid, also of foam board and plexi glass, and the inside of it it's constant between 75 and 80 degrees.

Check it out:

At this point just make sure they are healthy and happy :)

Good luck with your new kids :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The temperature, I made a "hot box" which my breeder recommended. It's pretty much an aquarium tank on it's side, with a heat mat on the inside of it. I lined it up with foam board to retain the temps., and then I put the tarantulas container inside it. I added a lid, also of foam board and plexi glass, and the inside of it it's constant between 75 and 80 degrees.
sweet hot box, i think i might be making some modifications on mine after seeing yours, which looks way cleaner :D

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avics are naturally jumpy. Once they are settled in, you can hold them, but don't be afraid or nervous! Avics won't bite or flick hair, but like to squirt poo... I've noticed a lot of people on here don't handle their T's, but as long as you don't do it constantly, you should be ok. Just handle with care and stay close to the floor. They don't typically walk into your hands on their own btw.