Hello. My B smithi and A geniculata slings will not eat. they are small (1.5cm) it has been 7 days?

SamG

Arachnopeon
Hello, My B smithi and A geniculata slings will not eat. they are small (1.5cm) it has been 7 days? I am not sure if they are in pre molt or not and they have access to water at all times.

How long will a spiderling of that size go without eating before molting?

I have tried everything from pin heads to cricket drumsticks and pre killed foods but nothing.

Advice please....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Can you post pics of spiders and set up?
7 days is pretty normal for a sling in premolt, but to get a good idea of what is wrong, pictures help :)

SamG

Arachnopeon
Can you post pics of spiders and set up?
7 days is pretty normal for a sling in premolt, but to get a good idea of what is wrong, pictures help :)
Ah ok, I am currently at work but once home I can. Thank you

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Like @Andrea82 said that's not bad at all. I would simply offer prekilled if you feel uneasy about it, but it easily could just be premolt fast.

SamG

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice ppl. Both slings have now molted. Panic over!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Im glad your problem has been resolved. However, I wanted to share that my b. Smithi sling (about half an inch) burrowed in his enclosure for over a month during his molting process. I was starting to wonder if it died but, it turned out everything was okay.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Brachypelma albiceps sling was buried for almost 2 months before emerging. This genus takes its time.

cold blood

Staff member
7 days is NOTHING...for any tarantula of ANY size.

@Olan , my albiceps was also a stubborn eater...once she went 177 days before finally molting...only ate one small meal throughout the whole cycle....and she was under 1/2" at the time.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
7 days is NOTHING...for any tarantula of ANY size.

@Olan , my albiceps was also a stubborn eater...once she went 177 days before finally molting...only ate one small meal throughout the whole cycle....and she was under 1/2" at the time.
177 days, that's pretty extreme. I have 4 albiceps. Three were growing pretty fast, one extremely slow. I thought "well, this species growth rate isn't so bad". Turns out I have 3 males and 1 female:meh:

cold blood

Staff member
177 days, that's pretty extreme. I have 4 albiceps. Three were growing pretty fast, one extremely slow. I thought "well, this species growth rate isn't so bad". Turns out I have 3 males and 1 female:meh:
Yeah I had a male as well, and it grew much more rapidly when it was small. Once the female got to about 1.25-1.5", its entire demeanor changed. Went from the non eatingest t in the world, to a total beast. It took I think almost 2 years to get to 1.5", and in the last year and a few months its jumped to 3.75". Ahhh, the positive effect of an increased appetite.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I had a male as well, and it grew much more rapidly when it was small. Once the female got to about 1.25-1.5", its entire demeanor changed. Went from the non eatingest t in the world, to a total beast. It took I think almost 2 years to get to 1.5", and in the last year and a few months its jumped to 3.75". Ahhh, the positive effect of an increased appetite.
Awesome, something to look forward to!

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Like @Andrea82 said that's not bad at all. I would simply offer prekilled if you feel uneasy about it, but it easily could just be premolt fast.
My op sling are fussy eaters, I have discovered as much as I try to change up what I offer them they seem to prefer their crickets right now. I feed mine every 2-3 days. As someone once told me here when I asked the same question, at that size it may not look like they are eating but they are. Mine will come out of their burrows during the night and eat so I feed them before I go to bed.
But as it has also been said, pictures help. They sometimes will not eat after being rehoused either.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Im glad your problem has been resolved. However, I wanted to share that my b. Smithi sling (about half an inch) burrowed in his enclosure for over a month during his molting process. I was starting to wonder if it died but, it turned out everything was okay.
My l.parahybana slings stay in their burrows all day and come out at night. Unfortunately I don't stay up all night unless I am at work and I don't bring them with me. Lol.