Hello. I'm new.

Semuta

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm very new at this. In fact, this is the first time I've ever thought about getting a tarantula, but I'm really excited! (I've decided to get a Grammostola pulchra because I've heard they're good for beginners and... well.... they're black.) There seems to be a lot of good info out there on how to care for "Brazilian Blacks" in particular, but I also think it's important to buy a healthy and well bred/raised pet in the first place. Can anyone (please) offer any advise as to trustworthy places (or people) who might sell me a healthy adult (or atleast old enough for the sex to be determined 'cause I'm sure I want a) female?
Thanx!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, good choice in spiders, probably not such a good choice in your plans for getting one. G. pulchra is generally expensive for a tiny sling. An adult big enough to sex (and I presume you're thinking, "I want a girl") is going to cost you anywhere from $150 to as much as $300, because if *you* can sex it, you know the dealer can, and they're not letting a female go cheap. That's not where I would start for my first T.

John Hoke of www.e-spiderworld.com is an excellent dealer who frequently has slings in stock of G. pulchra and often has (sub) adults. Additionally you might want to give Pat Kane a call (http://www.regalreptile.com/inverts.htm) and see if he has them in, at last contact he did.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a forum on this site for on-line dealers and sellers. I found it useful in finding and choosing a dealer. Good luck and keep us posted on your adventure.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know that Art Cerda of MIDWEST EXOTIC PETS has them in stock
prices are as follows:
1" $25
5" $125 (unsexed I assume)
6" $175 Female
you can reach him at: artcerda@cs.com
I just ordered one from the other day ago, and he's really good with e-mail responses
Jeremy