Hello I’m new here: My small jumping spider escaped

Kimip260

Arachnopeon
73C7390C-A4BA-4F05-86C9-D0DDD5A1A5B6.jpeg
This is Jeff and I had him for a couple of days and today I couldn’t find him anywhere in his enclosure. I feel so bad I looked under everything it’s just a temporary enclosure until I could set him free. I found him at my work place and I took him home with me bc my coworkers wanted to kill him. I feel bad for losing him. 01188095-1801-46C0-A687-38200530991A.jpeg
I’m wondering if there’s any way to find him or if there’s any advice that could help anything is appreciated. Thank you!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 438166
This is Jeff and I had him for a couple of days and today I couldn’t find him anywhere in his enclosure. I feel so bad I looked under everything it’s just a temporary enclosure until I could set him free. I found him at my work place and I took him home with me bc my coworkers wanted to kill him. I feel bad for losing him. View attachment 438167
I’m wondering if there’s any way to find him or if there’s any advice that could help anything is appreciated. Thank you!
It'll be attracted to warmth, and most jumpers are one of the few types of spiders that are more active during the day than they are at night - so look for it in warm places during the day (a sunny windowsill, near a heater vent, etc.).

He likely slipped out the holes where the front panel of that enclosure hinges, so if you find him and put him back in there, plug those holes with tissue or clay. Also, this enclosure comes with protective film on the panels that you can peel off and it'll be clear.

Good luck!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Or he's hiding. Don't panic. Be observant and wait.
And welcome to the forums. We're an arguably insane bunch but generally lovable.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
I hope you find Jeff or Jeffette as the case may be as I am not sure if you sexed it. I have never kept jumping spiders but they sound to be interesting.

I really dislike the enclosures that you snap together for the previously mentioned reasons. Unfortunately quite often that is what you find in pet stores.

William Dawson

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I've had that happen with an enclosure like that, except I had a yellow sac spider in there. Good luck finding him. I almost lost my pseudoscorpion the other day, it's a miracle that I found him before he got too far.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Those zilla enclosures are infamous for escapes, so don't feel too bad about it. They're just not great for small specimens. Other users have given good advice, I really hope you're able to find your jumper!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
And keep in mind if he has moved to a cooler environment it may decide to park, enter a torpor state for a while rather than prowl. Natural response: cold means winter = fewer prey. Conserve energy and wait for warmer weather and more prey. Torpor may last from a few hours to several months. Heating the room up for a day or two may reward you with Jeff prowling your walls.

Last edited:

PaulaDebra

Arachnopeon
View attachment 438166
This is Jeff and I had him for a couple of days and today I couldn’t find him anywhere in his enclosure. I feel so bad I looked under everything it’s just a temporary enclosure until I could set him free. I found him at my work place and I took him home with me bc my coworkers wanted to kill him. I feel bad for losing him. View attachment 438167
Leave his enclouser where it was when he got out , leave it open. Keep an eye out usually they'll go back to thror hammock, keep an eye out on the walls and windows I've had a few escapes and I've always found them. Either in their enclouser or close to it. Good luck