hello everyone, help info needed

missy

Arachnopeon
hi there, i have a Togo Starburst Tarantula , a sub adult, the first day i got it it was around the tank like a crazy loon, since then it has been in hidding in the substrate under a bit of moss, looks like it has dug it up a little ,the soil that is , is it normal, as i thought they were arboreal, meaning out and about up high, not like my other tarantulas that you look in and its a tank of soil. picture is of the tank. any ideas welcomed

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Togo Starburst Baboon", I haven't heard that common name in a while. I take it this is Pterinochilus or Ceratogyrus species. Probably the latter.

Nope they aren't arboreal but burrowers / terrestrial massive webbers. What your T is doing is perfectly natural.

EDIT: Nice set-up for an arboreal however like Pokie etc.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I believe the Togo is the common name for a edited..
H. maculata
THANKS - cold medicine has gotten the best of me.

I have a two H. macs..

They both seems to prefer a tube that they make just at the surface and just below.
not a deep burrow. but not a completely elevated hideout..

and these are fast..

Last edited:

missy

Arachnopeon
Hetroscoda maculata is the latin name, so is it an arboreal, sorry if i put the wrong name down i just copied it across. if it arboreal any ideas on its behavior.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you didn't use the scientific name and common names are misleading - people believed your t was a pterinochilus species, and those are terrestrial.

however, your t is a heteroscondra maculata - those are indeed arboreal. maybe it doesn't feel safe in its enclosure, hiding is a very normal behaviour for that species. try offering her a vertical cork bar or tube to hide in, that should normalise her behaviour. how bis is it? and are you aware that those can become quite agressive/defensive and that their venom is quite potent?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hetroscoda maculata is the latin name, so is it an arboreal, sorry if i put the wrong name down i just copied it across. if it arboreal any ideas on its behavior.
Missy....sweetheart...i just aswered your question. H. Maculata= Hetroscodra Maculata. They are arboreal. answer the questions i listed above..and i might be able to help you out with your problem. we need detalis of its environment!!! how long have you had it in the enclosure? what is the humidity (moist or dry) does it have a water dish?

missy

Arachnopeon
all my fault , it has been in there three days, soil is moist not wet, shallow water dish , will spray fine mist in there twice a week, i did phone the bloke up, as when it come it was a brown colour with the faint markings on , when in the picture it is more whitey, he did say that it was a sub adult and its next shed it will become whiter.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a subadult female should be pretty light already... are you sure it is a female? the males stay brownish and never turn white.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi so pterinochilus murinus are burrowers and web a lot i am geting one next tues in a book i have its about 10years old ! says its semi arboreal :? any help on it thanks and are phormictopus cancerides as bad as some books say they are :eek: thanks phil -- p.s. my p - murinus will be 3ins big :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry too much about how a tarantula is behaving with respect to its home within the first couple of weeks of having it or rehousing it. Tarantulas are often stressed by rehousing and a new environment and will not necessarily behave in a normal fashion. Give it a couple of weeks and it should settle into its new home and start to behave normally.