Hehehehe

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae

This solifugid is of the family Eremobatidae.

Alex S.

Last edited:

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very neat close-up! When I saw that pic I immediately thought of a walrus, big moustache and the tusks...:D

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
Very neat close-up! When I saw that pic I immediately thought of a walrus, big moustache and the tusks...:D

Yeah, the Eremobatids can have very bizzare chelicerae structure, but it is extremely effective, as even just the 1 inchers, such as E. pallipes or E. californicus can take down small lizards. Relative to body size, solifugids have the strongest jaw pressure out of any animal on the planet.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by T. blondi
an excellent example of a labidognathy spider. :) ;)

Hi T. blondi, actually this is a solifugid, also commonly known as windscorpions, or sunspiders, but they are not scorpions or spiders at all, they are of their own very unique arachnid order: Solifugae (approx. 900 species, 12 families).

Alex S.

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One other question how is solifugid pronounced?

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by jwb121377
One other question how is solifugid pronounced?
I always thought it was something like "soul - LIFF - you - gid"

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I always thought it was something like "soul - LIFF - you - gid"
I thought so too, until someone told me I was wrong. I for the life of me don't remeber how he said it.:? I think we may be right on this one.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard it most commonly pronounced soul-if-you-jid. :?
I wonder if the "g" is pronounced like g or j. :confused:
How do you pronounce it Alex? You're pretty much the authority on these guys so how ever you say it works for me. :)
Awesome pic by the way! Is that one of yours?

Atrax

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugid

Hey jwb121377, Mr.I, and Gary, it is actually pronounced "Soul-if-oo-jid", with a "J" sound. Such as in the Order nam, "Soul-if-oo-jay".

I did ID the specimen in the photo, but sadly the pic is not mine, just thought I would share it because it is such a great closeup of the chelicerae :)

Alex S.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alex to the rescue. I never knew for certain and 99.9% of the people I meet have never herd of them. They are quite cool. I miss my last one, that died in Aug. It used wave it's little arm at me when I opened it's encloser. Can't wait to find them for sale again.

Mister Internet, and Atrax Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
My bad :8o , I jumped to conclusions. Saw the chelicera structure and thought it was a spider lmao. I knew that the other forum title was "tarantulas", so I mistakenly thought this was a "other spiders" forum. Like Lycosidae and salticidae, lol.

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by T. blondi
My bad :8o , I jumped to conclusions. Saw the chelicera structure and thought it was a spider lmao. I knew that the other forum title was "tarantulas", so I mistakenly thought this was a "other spiders" forum. Like Lycosidae and salticidae, lol.

Hey man, dont sweat it :) Some spider chelicerae really can look similar to that of solifugids.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Alex to the rescue. I never knew for certain and 99.9% of the people I meet have never herd of them. They are quite cool. I miss my last one, that died in Aug. It used wave it's little arm at me when I opened it's encloser. Can't wait to find them for sale again.

Mister Internet, and Atrax Thanks for the help.

Hey Jeremy, yeah, they sure are very unique arachnids. Its always frustrating when specimens die, as you automatically want another to replace it, because they are so awesome :)

Alex S.

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey alex, what do you know about egyptian giant banded solfugids, i want to get one soon. and also, its not so hard to find them, i went to yahoo.com and typed in Galeodes Granti and found a bunch of places that where selling them.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi Justin, I just replied to your question in the thread you made. Check it out :)

Alex S.