Heaviest webbers?

sdeveikis

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I was wondering which tarantulas are known for being extensive/ fast webbers that are relatively easy to maintain? I have a GBB sling and they have finally started to extensively web up their enclosure and I'm finding it oddly satisfying and wanting to maybe grab another web-heavy species.

I know that the Ephebopus murinus is known for being a heavy webber, but their maintenance is a little too involved for me at my experience/comfort level, so I would love to hear any suggestions!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
The whole Chilobrachys genus. They get easier to keep when they're out of the sling stage, just deep substrate with some moisture.

cold blood

Staff member
Neoholothele Incei
There ya go...thread done! This IS the spider you are looking for (said in the vioce of obi-wan). Webbing machines!

M .balfouri is another...along with a host of feistier baboons. Avics also qualify, young ones tend to web quickly, but not like the aforementioned...and some adults web less and/or less frequently.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
There ya go...thread done! This IS the spider you are looking for (said in the vioce of obi-wan). Webbing machines!
This is entirely true. It starts webbing as soon as it gets into an enclosure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know that the Ephebopus murinus is known for being a heavy webber, but their maintenance is a little too involved for me at my experience/comfort level, so I would love to hear any suggestions!
Personally I think that that's what you believe and the impression you have, because the care of a E.murinus is pretty easy, honestly.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Here, you can see for yourself and decide, but honestly Neoholothele Incei is out in the open way a lot often.

Note: Mines are all slings by the way.

The whole Chilobrachys genus.
• Chilobrachys fimbriatus

FFF4033E-A3E1-435B-8FBD-7C09A6FD4EEE.jpeg

• Chilobrachys Sp. Electric Blue

DA11277A-C61A-4683-8E5B-82910104E058.jpeg

sdeveikis

Arachnopeon
Personally I think that that's what you believe and the impression you have, because the care of a E.murinus is pretty easy, honestly.
Honestly, the E. murinus was one of the first tarantulas I wanted to get because I was fascinated with their coloration, but I'm worried that I will over/under water their enclosure. I currently have 11 Ts, and it's no coincidence that all of them require essentially no moistening of substrate :playful::playful: . My issue is that I get extremely fixated and worry about mites/mold even though I rationally know that if either occurred, it really isn't that big of a deal and can be dealt with accordingly. It's not so much that I think the maintenance is hard, per se, it's just that I know I will get fixated on achieving this "perfect" moisture level and will spend way too much time worrying about if the T is suffering because of my constant micromanaging and meddling. They are such amazing Ts and I'm trying to learn how to just relax about stuff like this before getting any T that won't be happy with bone dry substrate :playful::playful:

sdeveikis

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and beautiful pictures! I will definitely look into these all :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Honestly, the E. murinus was one of the first tarantulas I wanted to get because I was fascinated with their coloration, but I'm worried that I will over/under water their enclosure. I currently have 11 Ts, and it's no coincidence that all of them require essentially no moistening of substrate :playful::playful: . My issue is that I get extremely fixated and worry about mites/mold even though I rationally know that if either occurred, it really isn't that big of a deal and can be dealt with accordingly. It's not so much that I think the maintenance is hard, per se, it's just that I know I will get fixated on achieving this "perfect" moisture level and will spend way too much time worrying about if the T is suffering because of my constant micromanaging and meddling. They are such amazing Ts and I'm trying to learn how to just relax about stuff like this before getting any T that won't be happy with bone dry substrate :playful::playful:
Yes, I figured out something like that. What I can tell you is that, adding (mind, while preparing the set up, and not after) a good two Tea spoons of vermiculite (fine grain only) in the substrate, will really help you in the long run, for mantain a nice level of humidity.

The rest is up to normal, room temperature, water. Just pour gently that in the substrate when you see said substrate too dry. Nothing transcendental :)

As for mites etc the combination of good ventilation and spot on cleaning prevents that.

Nerdsalad

Arachnopeon
My H.sp. Colombia is an awesome webber. I just rehomed her, but she had this intricate set of spiraling tunnels and then she flicks dirt on them to create hides. I only have 7 Ts, but my love for her is real, not just a summer fling, she has mad skills with the web.

I should also add the C. andersoni makes some gorgeous tunnels. This seems to be a less common tarantula in the pet trade, they are a bit plain in design, but they are inventive and make wonderful webs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
If you want to constantly be trying to figure out how to feed or do any type of matinence at all get a Phormingochilus sp. rufus.
It's webbed up a whole tunnel system. On the top lid making it hard for me to open it without destroying all of its hard work.
20180622_224610.jpg 20180603_211836.jpg
Expensive OW, H. pulchripes always does something extensive. The leaf I'm it's original enclosure was getting kind of gross so I changed it out and it's already going to town on the webbing. 1530404968513380357761.jpg