Heaviest Scorpion

chasiorias

Arachnopeon
Hello, guys. I was planning to get a pet scorpion and going through some research.
I used to have a blood python, asian forest scorpions, and a few tarantulas in the past, so I know how to maintain moisture and temperature.
However, I was confused by a few things regarding selecting the type of scorpion for me.
I want a large (the bigger the better) scorpion, but I wasn't sure which would be the heftiest/bulkiest/heaviest species.
These are the list of the largest I could figure out so far.
1. Pandinus Imperator
2. Pandinus Dictator
3. Heterometrus Swammerdami
4. Hadogenes Troglodytes
Among these, I understand that the Hadogenes Troglodytes(Flat Rock Scorpion) is just longer, but not as hefty as the others due to its flat&thin body.
However, the other 3 really confused me.
It seems like the female imperator is similar in size compared to a male swammerdami according to a 17 sec comparison video I've seen.
Perhaps the swammerdami are larger since females are usually much larger than males with arachnids?
And it seems like the local pet store I've been visiting lately doesn't even know that Pandinus Dictator even exists.
The name is found here and there, although they are rare to actually find, so I was confused if it is actually a thing.

All in all, combined with availability, it seems like Pandinus Imperator might be the best choice.
But I'd like to actually get the questions in my head cleared.
In short, the questions would be as below.

1. So what is the heaviest/bulkiest/heftiest scorpion available as a pet?
2. How much would the scorpions cost?
3. Is Pandinus Dictator actually real?
4. Are all of the large scorpion species able for handling?

P.S. Is LLL Reptile in Arizona reliable as a source to get my scorpions?
Would really appreciate the help from you guys, thanks.

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Here are the new latin names of the scorpions.

Pandinopsis dictator is real and I believe Gigantometrus swammerdami is able to obtain the largest amount of mass of the 4 you listed.

I'm pretty sure the emperor and dictator are nearly the same scorpion in terms of size and looks, save for a marking on the carapace and slightly different claw bumps and shapes.

Gl finding real swammerdami tho lol

Edit: if you're searching for relevant information about the scorpions it's best to use the old latin names as the new ones haven't been around very long

chasiorias

Arachnopeon
First of all, thank you for your kind response.
You really cleared up a lot for my confusion.
Seems like I'll go with emperor scorpions then.

But LLL Reptile(I visited today) seems to think that the dictator scorpions are what they call 'true emperor scorpions'.
I wonder if I can find any actual hefty scorpions available within a few months down this year.
My point is, where do you think I'll be able to get good specimen(thinking of a pair)?
I don't mind waiting a few months since I am trying to set up a dubia roach colony first, but I would like to have an idea where I can get genuinely labeled specimen.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
First of all, thank you for your kind response.
You really cleared up a lot for my confusion.
Seems like I'll go with emperor scorpions then.

But LLL Reptile(I visited today) seems to think that the dictator scorpions are what they call 'true emperor scorpions'.
I wonder if I can find any actual hefty scorpions available within a few months down this year.
My point is, where do you think I'll be able to get good specimen(thinking of a pair)?
I don't mind waiting a few months since I am trying to set up a dubia roach colony first, but I would like to have an idea where I can get genuinely labeled specimen.
I'm canadian so I'm not sure of what american dealers exist, you could check the classified sections of this site though. The people on AB are pretty good with not intentionally mislabeling their specimens

Edit: did a quick check of the classifieds and there are some on there

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
All dictator scorpions sold in the US are P. imperator. Less than a handful of BREEDERS in the US have the real P. dictator.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Seems like I'll go for imperators then for the availability then :)
Yes, the other two are very rare and can only be located through breeders. The reason why the P. imperator is sold in pet stores as P. dictator is some wholesaler/importer dirty business.

chasiorias

Arachnopeon
Yes, the other two are very rare and can only be located through breeders. The reason why the P. imperator is sold in pet stores as P. dictator is some wholesaler/importer dirty business.
Yes, that's why I was so confused and was lead to come here for help.
I'd rather have something relatively common at a reasonable price and properly labeled rather than being scammed.
Btw, do you know how fast they grow?
How long will it take for .5~~1" babies to grow up enough for breeding?
Would like to see some actual fully grown adult imperators(male and female) since google searches on them are confusing me at this point.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
As I understand it p.imperator is on a zero import policy rn while p.dictator is on a restricted import policy

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Pandinus Imperator and Dictator are a CITES listed/protected animal so it'll be very hard to get them. A lot of petshops sell Heterometrus as Pandinus so they are very unreliable. Getting them via a reputable breeder is the best way to obtain them.

chasiorias

Arachnopeon
Pandinus Imperator and Dictator are a CITES listed/protected animal so it'll be very hard to get them. A lot of petshops sell Heterometrus as Pandinus so they are very unreliable. Getting them via a reputable breeder is the best way to obtain them.
Would you say that everyone on the Classifieds of this forum would be a reputable breeder then?
I'm just having a hard time figuring out who these reputable breeders would be.

Crom

Arachnosquire
Find a P. imperator since it's your first. Anything sold as P. dictator in pet shops is actually imperator, so that will do just fine. Even if they are $70, that's honestly a fair enough price for an imperator particularly a female. They will likely become less common again soon enough and shoot up to $100 or more.

Hadogenes species are becoming much less common and take forever to grow and breed, as well as being illegal to export from South Africa, so they should really be left to professionals attempting to breed them.

As for dictator and swammerdami, they both do exist in US collections in very small numbers. I have the second largest group of both of them in the country, and am one of the only people producing either. I have female dictators giving birth right now so there will be a small number going around. More swammerdami is a ways out yet. Both of these should probably be saved for after you gain some more experience and knowledge. But youre on the right track..! 20210213_012404~2.jpg

Crom

Arachnosquire
As far as size, dictator are around the same size as the imperator you'll find in the hobby now. That's because they'll all savanna form imperator and are a bit smaller than forest form. Keep them the same as any forest scorpion tho. Swammerdami are the largest available in the hobby right now, but ive seen forest form imperator that rival them

chasiorias

Arachnopeon
As far as size, dictator are around the same size as the imperator you'll find in the hobby now. That's because they'll all savanna form imperator and are a bit smaller than forest form. Keep them the same as any forest scorpion tho. Swammerdami are the largest available in the hobby right now, but ive seen forest form imperator that rival them
Ooh... That photo is gorgeous.
In that case, how can I know if the imperator I'm getting is a savanna form or forest form?
Is there a different name or something I should be looking out for?
Maybe those are what the petshop I vistited today called the 'true emperor'?
The forest form imperator is really getting me excited and interested after hearing about it from you.

P.S. Do you have any forest form imperators or know any breeders who do?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Hey, could you make a comparison thread with the dictators, swammerdami and emperors. I can't say I've ever seen a great picture of all them, particularly the swammerdami as we have emperors and dictators up here in canada

Crom

Arachnosquire
Ooh... That photo is gorgeous.
In that case, how can I know if the imperator I'm getting is a savanna form or forest form?
Is there a different name or something I should be looking out for?
Maybe those are what the petshop I vistited today called the 'true emperor'?
The forest form imperator is really getting me excited and interested after hearing about it from you.

P.S. Do you have any forest form imperators or know any breeders who do?
All of the imperator being sold in the hobby now are savanna form. There may be a small handful of people still breeding forest form

Crom

Arachnosquire
Hey, could you make a comparison thread with the dictators, swammerdami and emperors. I can't say I've ever seen a great picture of all them, particularly the swammerdami as we have emperors and dictators up here in canada
I may get around to that, my photo skills have gotten better haha. I believe there's old threads in the archives with some okay comparison shots. I don't have e any adult imperator at the moment unfortunately, just a bunch of sub adults