Heaviest Beetles in the world, and some great others

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are some of my recent additions..took these pics tonight.
The first one will be of/the heaviest beetle in the world, the giant Megasoma Atlas...this specimen is over 10cm..

==========================================================

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the largest scarab in the world, and a contender for one of the heaviest is this
immense Goliathus Goliathus..at also over 10 cm..its head is huge and oddly shaped.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one of the strangest beetles i've ever seen..
a huge Carabidae, the bizarre Mormolyce phylloides.
In M. phylloides, the pygidial glands, which eject fluids used for defense, eject butyric acid. This defense compound is capable of paralyzing fingers for 24 hours after contact.
this one is at least 10 cm!

imagine if it landed on your neck, lol.

Last edited:

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are they still alive?
the pins through their body would say "no" ;).

That third beetle is absolutely insane looking... I've never seen anything like that. Where is it native to?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the pins through their body would say "no" ;).

That third beetle is absolutely insane looking... I've never seen anything like that. Where is it native to?
humid forests of Malaysia,
yeah.they are dead.:(

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol man i didnt even see them as pins. i thought it was some kind of organ or something. I know nothing about beetles and most insects. Just Tarantula's and Scorps. They are HUGEEEEE the 3rd 1 looks like something out of a science fiction movie.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a really big species of stag beetle..at 9 cm.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how much pinching power can they produce? Are the pincers really for use or display?

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Big beetles

HEllo All,
The first pic is Megasoma acteon from South america, they can reach up to 120 mm, Chalcosoma Atlas can also achieve over 100mm and it is from Asia and it is a huge beetle as well, so perhaps that is why you combine the two names.

Very nice speciemens you have, you need only the biggest ceranbicid the famous Tytanus giganteus.

regards

Ftorres

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh man I've always wanted to find a stag beetle.. there's supposed to be species native to Ontario too, but I've never managed to find one :(.

That one is amazing o_O.

and did you actually get to go to Malaysia to collect that?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a nice sized Dynastid..
thse have five horns!
one long curved one and four forward facing curved smaller ones!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
immense Goliathus Goliathus i have been trying to get these guys for some time..with the different color morphs available, im surprised there aren't more available in the states...but great display pieces though congrats

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HEllo All,
The first pic is Megasoma acteon from South america, they can reach up to 120 mm, Chalcosoma Atlas can also achieve over 100mm and it is from Asia and it is a huge beetle as well, so perhaps that is why you combine the two names.

Very nice speciemens you have, you need only the biggest ceranbicid the famous Tytanus giganteus.

regards

Ftorres
lmao..oh man..you're right!..i did combine the names.{D
i do have a Chalcosoma Atlas as well, will post soon.

as far as the Titanus goes..i will be going hunting for them this year, if my plans go as expected..got an invite to do so!
they are pretty rare..but the person i'm going with has caught them!!
they are monsters that can bite a ballpoint pen in half.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man I've always wanted to find a stag beetle.. there's supposed to be species native to Ontario too, but I've never managed to find one :(.

That one is amazing o_O.

and did you actually get to go to Malaysia to collect that?
not the malaysian ones..but some of the Ceylon species were collected by me,years ago.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how much pinching power can they produce? Are the pincers really for use or display?
depends on the species..the large stag could possibly pinch ..but they are not for that, they are for battling other males.

now some of the other species i post can pinch!

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another fantastic species..will have to find the name later..

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol.. nice.. big Mormolyce phylloides... mine is only 95 mm :)
I believe that Lucanidae to be Odontolabis siva parryi or siva... (it really depends on locale). I have one myself, self-collected at 106 mm :)
Chiasognathus granti on the last one for sure... unless it's the smaller pgymea subspecies

Oh yea, and i never heard of a Megasoma atlas =P
Oh, nearly forgot, E. gracilionis for that 5-horned