HEATMATS FOR Ts IN COLD HOUSES

SNIPERSTEVE23

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone iam new to the T scene and keep getting mixed reports on heatmats and Ts i live in Scotland so its very cold most of the year and was wondering if heatmats are a good idea for a T .

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone iam new to the T scene and keep getting mixed reports on heatmats and Ts i live in Scotland so its very cold most of the year and was wondering if heatmats are a good idea for a T .
What temps will the area where your T's are going be? Generally heatmats aren't needed, but if you have to use them mount them on the side of the tank.

SNIPERSTEVE23

Arachnopeon
What temps will the area where your T's are going be? Generally heatmats aren't needed, but if you have to use them mount them on the side of the tank.
thanks its around 59 to 67o f but its changes all the time coz the rooms in the house are big and dont really keep the heat in that well

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SNIPERSTEVE23 said:
thanks its around 59 to 67o f but its changes all the time coz the rooms in the house are big and dont really keep the heat in that well.
She will be fine at room temp mate
That might actually be dipping down a little too low for it, but hopefully others will chime in.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah its quite low but I think it should be fine, you can attach the heatmat to the side of the tank it wont hurt he/she.

What size is the said T?

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She will be fine at room temp mate
Fine will be somewhere between 70 and 85 F. Lower temperatures will not hurt the spider but will decrease dramatically her metabolism and mobility. Personally I would use the heatmat at the side of the enclosure. There isn't any risk for her because she can anyway move away from the heat source whatever she feels to do this.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a heatmat in my T cupboard, because temps drop to between 15-19 celsius in my flat in winter.. But it's mounted on the wall in the cupboard, nowhere near the T's, because I'm paranoid like that.. Anyways, my T's are at around 25 celsius all year round..

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
House temps here frequently dip to that low at night in the winter (we shut the heat off to save money when we're sleeping) and mine all survived just fine including a couple brachies. Of course it wasn't for prolonged periods of time and they really didn't molt all that much but aside from that I didn't notice and ill effect.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Not totally off topic...

What if I had a large tank with several smaller enclosures in it would that be better for the heater than trying to maintain the heat in individual enclosures?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's kinda how my heated cupboard works, and I sure think it's easy.. Just stick the plug in when it gets colder =p

JamieC

Arachnopeon
What if I had a large tank with several smaller enclosures in it would that be better for the heater than trying to maintain the heat in individual enclosures?
That is exactly what I do. I have rearing jars inside a bigger tank which I heat from behind. It's great because I can move the jars closer to, or further away from the heat mat to regulate the temps.

Jamie :)

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
House temps here frequently dip to that low at night in the winter (we shut the heat off to save money when we're sleeping) and mine all survived just fine including a couple brachies. Of course it wasn't for prolonged periods of time and they really didn't molt all that much but aside from that I didn't notice and ill effect.
I think that temperature fluctuations between day and night resembles better the nature and probably is beneficial. Me also follow this scheme to save money as well.