Heatmat questions!

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Just been hunting on eBay for a heatmat, found one by a company called "reptile one" and the write up is "Reptile one heat mats are designed to operate 24 hours a day to provide a thermal option for the reptile. All models include a built-in thermal cut off which means the mat does not need to be run on a thermostat"

Anyone used these before? Is a thermostat not needed at all?

And what size & wattage would you recommend for a 61x38.30 tank?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just been hunting on eBay for a heatmat, found one by a company called "reptile one" and the write up is "Reptile one heat mats are designed to operate 24 hours a day to provide a thermal option for the reptile. All models include a built-in thermal cut off which means the mat does not need to be run on a thermostat"

Anyone used these before? Is a thermostat not needed at all?

And what size & wattage would you recommend for a 61x38.30 tank?
What is it you're trying to heat, exactly? :?

Sidi

Arachnopeon
my T enclosure Im setting up, hence why I posted in the T general questions area :D

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my T enclosure Im setting up, hence why I posted in the T general questions area :D
Well honestly, unless the temperature in your house drops below 60 degrees F, you don't need an additional heat source. If you're comfortable, the T will be, too.

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Well honestly, unless the temperature in your house drops below 60 degrees F, you don't need an additional heat source. If you're comfortable, the T will be, too.
He gots the right idea I had a heat pad but read some posts and found thats it's more harmful to them than helping them.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would say you want to keep them 70F or above, IMO <70 is just too cold and they will be sluggish, and may not eat. I have an 8" LP that is kept at room temp, around 70-71, and she doesn't do a whole lot, how ever, when it jumps to 75-80 she actively hunts.

If you're going to do a heat mat do not put it on the bottom, mount to the side. What I guarantee you will find though is that she will lean right against it. They prefer it warmer than cooler. You will be much better off if you can keep it in a incubator of sorts where the entire unit is heated to consistent temperature, rather than just creating a hot spot on one side of the enclosure.

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Not sure if it helps, but species im kepping is Phlogius sp "stents"

I was going to side mount it, and get a smallish 7watt mat, 15 x 28 to go in my 61x31x30 tank, but you think I might not need a heat pad at all?

The seler recommended anywhere from 21 - 28 °C

The tank gets down to around 18-19 °C at night.

I live in Adelaide, Australia, the temps range from (these are extremes, but can happen)
Hottest temperature – 46.1 °C (115.0 °F)
Coldest temperature – −0.4 °C (31 °F)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure if it helps, but species im kepping is Phlogius sp "stents"

I was going to side mount it, and get a smallish 7watt mat, 15 x 28 to go in my 61x31x30 tank, but you think I might not need a heat pad at all?

The seler recommended anywhere from 21 - 28 °C

The tank gets down to around 18-19 °C at night.

I live in Adelaide, Australia, the temps range from (these are extremes, but can happen)
Hottest temperature – 46.1 °C (115.0 °F)
Coldest temperature – −0.4 °C (31 °F)
Those are the outside temps, right? What do you keep the temp at inside your house/apartment?

Curiousme, another member on here, keeps their T's at about 64 degrees F and they're thriving.

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Those are outside temps, but I dont heat or cool my house at all, I like cold weather, haha, not sure what the temps inside get too, the thermo ive got (not sure how accurate) dropped to 18-19°C last night

Basically, I just want some advice on the best way to keep the little fella warm and happy?

P.S. just bought a 14wt heat mat and a thermostat, any info on the best way to keep a sling warm with this?

Last edited:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my parahybana slings in their containers inside a 10 gallons aquarium with a heating pad on the back. The warm side is on the 80's and they seem to like it. They eat like pigs and are very active.

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Good, mine is now set up the same, little container sitting in a larger glass aquarium, except I have the heat mat underneath the tank, I'm guessing with the thermostat controlling things I wont boil the little sling??

I have the thermostat set at 30c with the thermo probe sitting just under the substrate, the little container with my T is sitting on the substrate, the temp gauge stuck to the little container and the temp is sitting steady at 24c now, which is 75.2f I believe?

Thinking I might get an electronic thermometer gauge with a probe, and stick the thermometer & thermostat probes close together so I'm getting an accurate soil temp reading, instead of a whole tank/air temp? recommended?