Heating Roaches...

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi!

I just received my large lot of b. dubia... I am certain all is in order and they will be happy in their home.

I have them set up in a clear plastic tote, made 2 openings on the top lid and secured some 'screen door' screen with aquarium sealant.

They have egg flats, water crystals/gel and TCO food... My question is this.

Since it is approaching the warm months the AC will be running in my home... I understand that they should be kept around the 80-85 degree range for optimal breeding, so how do I warm them....? Is there a UTH that is made for use with plastic? Heat lamps? I'd appreciate any suggestions or thoughts!

Heather

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For my Blaptica dubia I also use a plastic tote. I use the 33 gallon size. To heat it I use a human heating pad. Don't buy a cheap one. The ones I use for heating my insects and reptiles cost around $35.00. The heat settings run from 1 -6, with 6 being the hottest. I have mine on 3 year round. It keps them happy they eat like a pig and breed like crazy. Make sure the heating pad you get has a stay on setting. I place the pad under one end of the tote. The othe end has no heat. This is the side the food and water is placed on.

Hope this helps,

Tom

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep all my roaches in the large rubbermaid containers filled with egg crates. I use heat rope from big apple herp under the tub's. I work a full time job so the heating pad thing made me nervouse not being home. The heat rope was a safe alternative. My roaches stay around 90F I feed carrots and apples and mist every other day. I set up the colonies 2 1/2 years ago and I have thousands always on hand. Thats what works for me good luck:D

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my dubias in a 93 quart tub with a screened hole cut in the top, I heat using a 50 watt infrared heat lamp.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine is plastic tubs and use a UTH under half the cage. Keeps them 90+ and they can go up the egg flats if they get too hot.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go with undertank heating. It uses less energy than a bulb, and B. dubia likes to hide on the bottom of the cage anyway. But with a plastic tote, it becomes even more important to follow all the normal conventions of using undertank heating, like making sure you don't have the tub resting directly on carpet, making sure there's air flow beneath the tub, and having the heat source plugged into a rheostat/dimmer or thermostat so it doesn't overheat.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i have lobster roaches, its approaching winter here in aus and i'm getting basicly no breeding, have a heat cord on the way, hopefully i get some results

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i would also go with undertank heating. i used a 6w heating mat for plants for my colony (only under half theplastic container so they can chose their preferred temps!). those are not as expensive as the rptile ones, very effective, water resistant, don't get so hot as to fry the roaches and use little energy.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Inappropriate uses of electrical equipment

Human heating pad? Sounds like he should be in a freak show next to the lizard man and snake girl. ;P Human heating pads were not designed for continual use in enclosed areas such as under tanks. It is unsafe and can be dangerous. Use appropriate equipment in an appropriate manner. Especially when it comes to electrical equipment. These heating pads designed for human use were not made to be placed under solid objects for extended periods of time.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net