Heating problem

Fishforbass23

Arachnopeon
So i ordered a UTH and a temp controller and when i plugged the uth in the controller the heat pad wouldn't heat up. But when i plugged it into the wall it worked. The heat mat shouldn't overheat or anything right or will the scorps be ok with temps ranging from 80-90s degrees or do they need a whole lot of heat

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
The controller works on a feedback loop with a few different variables, one of those being the max amount of power sent to the heater. When you plug the UTH into the controller it most likely is heating, just at a very slow rate. Try plugging it all in and leaving it for a few hours.

Temps in the 80-90s should probably be good, although I'd say keep it in the 80s for most species if you can.

Fishforbass23

Arachnopeon
Ok I'll try right now its currently plugged i to the another socket and working perfectly then when i plugged into the controller while its still warm it cooled down and never heated back up while plugged into the controller but I'll leave it over night and see if it works

Ok I'll try right now its currently plugged i to the another socket and working perfectly then when i plugged into the controller while its still warm it cooled down and never heated back up while plugged into the controller but I'll leave it over night and see if it works
The controller works on a feedback loop with a few different variables, one of those being the max amount of power sent to the heater. When you plug the UTH into the controller it most likely is heating, just at a very slow rate. Try plugging it all in and leaving it for a few hours.

Temps in the 80-90s should probably be good, although I'd say keep it in the 80s for most species if you can.
Also lets say the heat mat stopped working one day and the room temps were about 70-75 would that be ok til i got another one

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishforbass23

Arachnopeon

I left it plugged in the controller for about 6 hours and it still didn't heat

Fishforbass23

Arachnopeon
75 is "okay" for Heterometrus spp. But it would benefit if you bumped it to 78ish.
Well my ASF is supposed to be in by tomorrow or friday but i set up the enclosure yesterday so that could get the temps and humidity right. So far my humidity has been about 70-90% and my temps on the hot side have been about 80-87 and on the cool side about 70-75

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well my ASF is supposed to be in by tomorrow or friday but i set up the enclosure yesterday so that could get the temps and humidity right. So far my humidity has been about 70-90% and my temps on the hot side have been about 80-87 and on the cool side about 70-75
As long as the substrate is moist you don't need to worry about chasing humidity numbers, and the temperature gradient from one side to the other sounds about right.