Heating Pad Questions

madagascarhissinglover

Arachnosquire
Hello there! I am the owner of four Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. On an earlier thread I asked whether or not I should move my roaches to the basement because of the conditions of my room throughout the summer. The overall consensus was that I should, though I just realized that our dogs often times go down there and everywhere in the house, except my room. Not only could the dogs pose a danger to my roaches but their various barks really stress them out. SO, I’m thinking about keeping them in my room but with a heating pad and/or thermostat. But in my research I have developed multiple questions. If you would be willing or can answer them please do.
1. Do I need a thermostat?
2. What heaters can you recommend? My tank dimensions are 12x12x12”
3. Should I put the heater on the side or bottom of my tank?
4. If I place the heater on the side directly on the glass, will it burn my roaches? They often like to hang out and climb on it.
5. If the answer to 4 is yes, is there any way to prevent this?
6. What temperatures would you recommend I set the heating pad at? I would prefer it to be a bit cooler than average for them

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
.................Not only could the dogs pose a danger to my roaches but their various barks really stress them out..................
Your barking dogs stress out the roaches? I didn't know roaches could hear.

I'll leave your heating pad questions to others. I like them myself, but most folks take a dim view of them around here.

madagascarhissinglover

Arachnosquire
Your barking dogs stress out the roaches? I didn't know roaches could hear.

I'll leave your heating pad questions to others. I like them myself, but most folks take a dim view of them around here.
I doubt they "hear" conventionally. It's just that whenever one of my dogs bark, they flinch very noticeably. I have a feeling they probably feel the vibration of the barK? If anyone actually knows the answer feel free to correct me

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I doubt they "hear" conventionally. It's just that whenever one of my dogs bark, they flinch very noticeably. I have a feeling they probably feel the vibration of the barK? If anyone actually knows the answer feel free to correct me
The antenna and hairs sense vibration probably? It’s just unusual for dogs to be barking at your roaches , only our small dog goes downstairs and when my roaches were down there never noticed them . If you find any good cheap heat mats tell me I need to upgrade once my orange roaches outgrow their current tank. I’m using a tiny zoo med for now. Now the cats used to watch my Dubias , until I put them in a different room.

madagascarhissinglover

Arachnosquire
The antenna and hairs sense vibration probably? It’s just unusual for dogs to be barking at your roaches , only our small dog goes downstairs and when my roaches were down there never noticed them . If you find any good cheap heat mats tell me I need to upgrade once my orange roaches outgrow their current tank. I’m using a tiny zoo med for now. Now the cats used to watch my Dubias , until I put them in a different room.
They don’t bark directly /at/ my roaches, merely near them. My boys still freak out either way 🤷‍♀️

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hello there! I am the owner of four Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. On an earlier thread I asked whether or not I should move my roaches to the basement because of the conditions of my room throughout the summer. The overall consensus was that I should, though I just realized that our dogs often times go down there and everywhere in the house, except my room. Not only could the dogs pose a danger to my roaches but their various barks really stress them out. SO, I’m thinking about keeping them in my room but with a heating pad and/or thermostat. But in my research I have developed multiple questions. If you would be willing or can answer them please do.
4. If I place the heater on the side directly on the glass, will it burn my roaches? They often like to hang out and climb on it.
6. What temperatures would you recommend I set the heating pad at? I would prefer it to be a bit cooler than average for them
Q1.
Yes you do need a thermostat ALWAYS.
People, especially in the States, seem to think for some strange reason that an unregulated heat source won't cause any problems !!

Q2.

Never buy cheap Asian made heat mats, or any other Asian heat source for that matter.
I personally only use Habistat or ProRep for both the mats and thermostats.
Best to Google tank size for best wattage, many various wattages.

Q3/4.

Always place the mat on the sides, if you place underneath then place substrate on top you will create hot spots and over heating.
No it won't burn anything because you'll be using a Quality Thermostat.

Q5.
N/A

Q6.

Research the required temperatures needed and set your thermostat accordingly, then use an IR temperature gun to calibrate the stat.
30 degrees on the thermostat dial may only be 25 at the substrate, so adjust accordingly.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
...................Never buy cheap Asian made heat mats, or any other Asian heat source for that matter.
I personally only use Habistat or ProRep for both the mats and thermostats...................
...........and you think they're not Asian made?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No they're UK made !!

Habistat is anyway.

No comments other than trying to pick holes in things.
Little wonder I'm not on any other social media sites.
So only mats with a built in thermostat can be adjusted right? Most of the cheap ones on Amazon don’t have that. How does the heat mat work with feeder roach species if there’s no substrate does it heat the tank up on the sides vs bottom ?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So only mats with a built in thermostat can be adjusted right? Most of the cheap ones on Amazon don’t have that. How does the heat mat work with feeder roach species if there’s no substrate does it heat the tank up on the sides vs bottom ?
The mats with the built-in stats are usually the ones that cause problems.

You need a good quality heat mat controlled by a separate quality thermostat with a probe that you can position in the correct place to give required temperature.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The mats with the built-in stats are usually the ones that cause problems.

You need a good quality heat mat controlled by a separate quality thermostat with a probe that you can position in the correct place to give required temperature.
Most of the ones on Amazon are like this one or the ones with no thermometer.
Limited-time deal: VIVOSUN 10"x20.75" Seedling Heat Mat and Digital Thermostat Combo Set MET Standard https://a.co/d/3RoPRjU

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Most of the ones on Amazon are like this one or the ones with no thermometer.
Limited-time deal: VIVOSUN 10"x20.75" Seedling Heat Mat and Digital Thermostat Combo Set MET Standard https://a.co/d/3RoPRjU
If you read the product information and the link you provided it clearly states " use in combination with the Vivosun digital thermostat ".

A thermostat is a device for controlling the temperature .

A thermometer gives a reading of the temperature, none controllable.

Don't confuse the two.

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
How long have you had your roaches? As long as the ambient room temp is above 75-80, they should be happy. I personally have never had much luck with heating mats, I use a low wattage daytime blue light (25-50w) for about 2-3 hours a day, mainly in the morning when the sun is still rising. I keep a thermometer and hygrometer in the tank so that I can monitor when they need to be misted or need a little extra heat. As far as dogs are concerned, I'm not sure they'll stress your hissers. While they do pose a threat if they spill the tank, as long as they don't, they should be fine. Hissers are pretty hardy bugs if you get them from a good breeder. I had a 2&1/2 year old one I picked up Jan 2021. Just passed away in February. Most of his life I just kept him at room temp (no heater or lamp) in my bedroom, where there was constantly noise from my family, music, TV, etc. However, this is just advice from personal experience, not backed up by research, so definitely check out what's available in the primary literature. Theres a lot of information online, and in my experience, most of it is correct enough to keep happy, healthy buggies

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
.....................As long as the ambient room temp is above 75-80, they should be happy.....................
Sounds like you're trying to keep the coal miners employed. We can't all afford that.

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
Sounds like you're trying to keep the coal miners employed. We can't all afford that.
I keep my house at around 69° in the summer. The added hour or two of heat from a lamp or pad will add the extra heat you need. It's even easier in the winter when I actually run the heat in my house, usually about 73-74. I need to clarify. When I said ambient room temperature, I was referring to the temperature in the tank. I don't think any human could comfortably live in an 80° house💀

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
I don't even control mine. I spent about $15 at PetSmart to get a plug extender with a timer circuit. Turns it on 1.5hrs in the morning when it's cooler and 1 hr in the afternoon when the sun is setting

madagascarhissinglover

Arachnosquire
As long as the ambient room temp is above 75-80, they should be happy.
The ambient room temp is usually under that at around 60-65 in their tank during the summer. That's why I'm researching heating pads. It's actually freezing in there, especially for cold-blooded animals