Heating my tarantula?

FayeAlesse

Arachnopeon
This may be a niche question but it is kind of urgent. I recently got a juvenile Venezuelan Suntiger named Baby and he is my first tarantula. My house is very cold (thank you landlord Mike) and I think Baby may be cold. Under the direction of the owner of an exotic pet store near me I got him a tank that is a bit large for him (12-12-18) and has a small 25 watt heat lamp. I was informed this was the smallest tank that was safe to heat. I have read that heat lamps are bad for tarantulas as it could dry them out but I don't know what else to do. When he was transferred to this larger tank he almost immediately went and sat high up on the glass, literally as close to the lamp as possible without being on the mesh. I have a larger heat lamp that is 60 watts but idk if I should set it up or not.

I have read that they should be comfortable at a normal house temperature but I have also read that they need to be between 70-80 degrees, sometimes I've seen both said in the same article? I am now questioning if normal people heat their house like they're prepping for hell and I was just meant to live in the Arctic but if I was going to take a guess I'd say most of the day the house is closer to 65 degrees TOPS during the day but warmer at night.

Please help!!

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
Get a small room heater and warm the room, don't have it pointed at the T tho.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
juvenile Venezuelan Suntiger
I am assuming this is a Psalmopoeus irminia. I have two, a 1.5" sling and a 3.5" sub-adult.

I have read that they should be comfortable at a normal house temperature but I have also read that they need to be between 70-80 degrees
My spider room is generally around 68-70F during the day, and maybe more like 65F at night. They've been fine and the sling is growing like a weed. There is absolutely no need to keep them 80F -- they'll grow faster if you do, but they'll also be fine at more moderate temperatures.

If it is consistently below 65F during the day, you may want to get a small space heater just to raise the temperature of that room by a couple degrees.

How cold does the room actually get during the day?

taranbandido

Arachnosquire
The best, of course, is to have the room heated. I have tried everything; lamps, heating blankets and the best that works for me are 6W heating stones buried 8/10 cm near the burrow entrance.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Another option would be to use a heat mat (like an under tank heater for reptiles) on the side of a larger enclosure, controlled with a thermostat, and put your T's smaller enclosure inside that. Think of a large sterilite tub with a heat mat stuck to the side of it, and your T in it's little enclosure inside the big tub. Get a t-stat with a temp probe, plug your heat mat into that, and set the temp at whatever you want it to be. It's like heating the whole room with a space heater, but you just made the room much smaller...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
A heat lamp is not a safe way to heat a tarantula. You may not need supplemental heat at all, what are you temperature ranges?

Dorifto

He who moists xD

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

As of 10 minutes ago, this fellow officially became my favorite tarantula YouTuber. Among other things, he states that the Stan Schultz book is the genesis of all those supplemental heating myths that we've been reading since the beginning of time. Now it's all starting to make sense.

Last edited:

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer

This dudes videos are amazing.And it confirms my theories on Avics and the air turnover/humidity relationship

FayeAlesse

Arachnopeon
Another option would be to use a heat mat (like an under tank heater for reptiles) on the side of a larger enclosure, controlled with a thermostat, and put your T's smaller enclosure inside that. Think of a large sterilite tub with a heat mat stuck to the side of it, and your T in it's little enclosure inside the big tub. Get a t-stat with a temp probe, plug your heat mat into that, and set the temp at whatever you want it to be. It's like heating the whole room with a space heater, but you just made the room much smaller...
This is what I'm leaning towards as I read more about it. Does the small enclosure always have to be in a larger one? Or is it safe for them to eventually graduate to the one with the heat mat directly on the side.

A heat lamp is not a safe way to heat a tarantula. You may not need supplemental heat at all, what are you temperature ranges?
I wasn't sure so I asked my roommates and they landed on the average temp being 60 degrees and "I can see my breath sometimes" we live in Bellingham. It's not even that cold here.

I am assuming this is a Psalmopoeus irminia. I have two, a 1.5" sling and a 3.5" sub-adult.

My spider room is generally around 68-70F during the day, and maybe more like 65F at night. They've been fine and the sling is growing like a weed. There is absolutely no need to keep them 80F -- they'll grow faster if you do, but they'll also be fine at more moderate temperatures.

If it is consistently below 65F during the day, you may want to get a small space heater just to raise the temperature of that room by a couple degrees.

How cold does the room actually get during the day?
Thank you! This is somewhat more reassuring? I asked my roommates what temp it usually is in here and they all said the average temp is 60 degrees and "I can sometimes see my breath in here" it's hilarious but she's not lying

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
This is what I'm leaning towards as I read more about it. Does the small enclosure always have to be in a larger one? Or is it safe for them to eventually graduate to the one with the heat mat directly on the side.
You can certainly put the heat mat on the enclosure itself. If you do, put it on one side (or the back) so there's a heat gradient that the T can move around in (closer or further from the heat source) - the T needs to be able to cool off if it gets too warm. The benefit of heating a larger enclosure is that you can usually fit several smaller enclosures inside. Regardless, ALWAYS control the heat source with a thermostat, and use one that you have checked out before using it on your T's. Some thermostats sold in pet stores aren't very accurate at all, so you need to try it and measure the temp before hand to get familiar with how it works. Also be sure to use an appropriately sized heat mat for the application - the lowest wattage one that will be effective is the safest choice.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
I affix heat mats to a pane of glass that you can usually find at a home improvement store maybe even smaller hardware stores. That way you can move it around easier. Heavy tape on glass edges. I keep them a distance of an inch or more from the enclosures to help heat the air and more importantly keep the direct heat away from the Ts who sometimes like to bask against the heated enclosure wall.

I too keep enclosures within enclosures, in part as a protective measure against a curious cat. I also have been using low watt heating cables used for reptiles on the outside of some enclosures.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
As of 10 minutes ago, this fellow officially became my favorite tarantula YouTuber. Among other things, he states that the Stan Schultz book is the genesis of all those supplemental heating myths that we've been reading since the beginning of time. Now it's all starting to make sense.
They are very good, both Ryan and Jessica, you can find them on FB too, they have a bioactive tarantula group also.

I miss more videos, because the content it's top notch. You have the pt2 of that series in the Live section.

This dudes videos are amazing.And it confirms my theories on Avics and the air turnover/humidity relationship
Yea, they explain a lot of things that others simply ignore 😉👌🏼

Doing this you are also reducing air flow, so keep it in mind when you add moisture to the setup.

You can certainly use a lamp, but it should be far (far enough to not excessively heat it), heating a small portion of the setup, and the heat received by the enclosure should be mild. A thermostat should be used to control enclosure's temp.

Imho best option will be a small heating mat in one side, providing always a temp gradient to allow them to thermoregulate. A common issue that a lot committed was to heat the whole enclosure, using mats that were too big.

You can place a piece of bark near the mat to provide a "baskin" spot.

Mountaindani

Arachnopeon

Thank you so much for sharing this video!

Metal Webber

Arachnopeon
This may be a niche question but it is kind of urgent. I recently got a juvenile Venezuelan Suntiger named Baby and he is my first tarantula. My house is very cold (thank you landlord Mike) and I think Baby may be cold. Under the direction of the owner of an exotic pet store near me I got him a tank that is a bit large for him (12-12-18) and has a small 25 watt heat lamp. I was informed this was the smallest tank that was safe to heat. I have read that heat lamps are bad for tarantulas as it could dry them out but I don't know what else to do. When he was transferred to this larger tank he almost immediately went and sat high up on the glass, literally as close to the lamp as possible without being on the mesh. I have a larger heat lamp that is 60 watts but idk if I should set it up or not.

I have read that they should be comfortable at a normal house temperature but I have also read that they need to be between 70-80 degrees, sometimes I've seen both said in the same article? I am now questioning if normal people heat their house like they're prepping for hell and I was just meant to live in the Arctic but if I was going to take a guess I'd say most of the day the house is closer to 65 degrees TOPS during the day but warmer at night.

Please help!!
Dunk them in oil and sprinkle on plenty of cream of tartar.Place them on a baking sheet throw in oven at 452 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with a side of frozen ranch

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I affix heat mats to a pane of glass that you can usually find at a home improvement store maybe even smaller hardware stores. That way you can move it around easier. Heavy tape on glass edges. I keep them a distance of an inch or more from the enclosures to help heat the air and more importantly keep the direct heat away from the Ts who sometimes like to bask against the heated enclosure wall.

I too keep enclosures within enclosures, in part as a protective measure against a curious cat. I also have been using low watt heating cables used for reptiles on the outside of some enclosures.
I have a dedicated room (converted garage) for my Ts where the climate is controlled for day and night temos which I also adjust slightly for "seasonal" fluctuations. I do however have a similar method to yours for the spiders that need an extra bit of heat (e.g. mothers incubating eggs).

I have heat mats affixed to pieces of thin flat wood, with feet for stability (as well as a natural gap when placing near tanks), attached to a thermostat.

The heat mat is also attached to reflective insulation sheets on the wood so that the heat is radiated outwards, making more efficient use of the heat. Works well when that little bit of extra targeted heat is needed.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Truly strange why a pet shop would suggest this our local shop that has Ts so overpriced I’d never get one there has no special heating for there T.
I have a dedicated room (converted garage) for my Ts where the climate is controlled for day and night temos which I also adjust slightly for "seasonal" fluctuations. I do however have a similar method to yours for the spiders that need an extra bit of heat (e.g. mothers incubating eggs).

I have heat mats affixed to pieces of thin flat wood, with feet for stability (as well as a natural gap when placing near tanks), attached to a thermostat.

The heat mat is also attached to reflective insulation sheets on the wood so that the heat is radiated outwards, making more efficient use of the heat. Works well when that little bit of extra targeted heat is needed.
wow I never knew heat pads were so versatile I Never used them for Ts just Dubias .
They are very good, both Ryan and Jessica, you can find them on FB too, they have a bioactive tarantula group also.

I miss more videos, because the content it's top notch. You have the pt2 of that series in the Live section.

Yea, they explain a lot of things that others simply ignore 😉👌🏼

Doing this you are also reducing air flow, so keep it in mind when you add moisture to the setup.

You can certainly use a lamp, but it should be far (far enough to not excessively heat it), heating a small portion of the setup, and the heat received by the enclosure should be mild. A thermostat should be used to control enclosure's temp.

Imho best option will be a small heating mat in one side, providing always a temp gradient to allow them to thermoregulate. A common issue that a lot committed was to heat the whole enclosure, using mats that were too big.

You can place a piece of bark near the mat to provide a "baskin" spot.
[/]
I once know someone who Was too cheap to buy a pet store heat lamp so he got a industrial one at Home Depot , later cooked the poor leopard gecko. Luckily he’s had no pets beside 1 dog since …[/QUOTE]