Heating issues

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Both of my tanks are plastic, and I'm looking to heat them without sweating my ass off (the room is always well over 75F and I can't take it anymore). Would those heating pads they sell be likely to melt a Kritter Keeper type setup? Should use a light?

N.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
If your room is always well over 75, most T's will be absolutely fine at that temperature. No need for external heating sources...

Scott

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I want to heat the tanks to I don't overheat myself. It gets rather stuffy in here...

N.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Both of my tanks are plastic, and I'm looking to heat them without sweating my ass off (the room is always well over 75F and I can't take it anymore). Would those heating pads they sell be likely to melt a Kritter Keeper type setup? Should use a light?

N.

I have been using heat mats/pads on the plastic KK type tanks for about 6 months and they are ok>
Just make sure you get the correct size for the tanks.
Chid

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a 60 watt red heat lamp

Well,
I myself use a 60 watt red heat lamp that I have strategically positioned to where my more delicate and warmth loving spiders are kept at a temp of about 80-82 degrees...I find that my EarthTigers thrive at this temp.At night I turn the lamp off and allow them to cool to about 75 degrees to simulate nightfall in their native habitat.I have had more success maintaining the SouthEast Asian species at higher temps than basic room temp.I had a beautiful Gold phase EarthTiger that I lost a year ago and I feel that I was keeping her at too low of a temp and humidity..I mist my Asians frequently to maintain a humidity of about 80 per cent.

This is just my personal method of maintaining my spiders....many of my New World species I just keep at basic room temp of about 75 degrees...

:p The Spider Hunter

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been using heat mats/pads on the plastic KK type tanks for about 6 months and they are ok>
These are fine as long as you place them on the SIDE of the tank. Spiders burrow to escape the heat and if they burrow right into a floor with a heating pad it really stresses them out.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok, so if I go with the small sized ones, there's no danger of melting the plastic on either tank?

N.

"If I had a box full of wishes...I'd wish for a box full of cheese" -Me being stupid LoL

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, so if I go with the small sized ones, there's no danger of melting the plastic on either tank?

N.

"If I had a box full of wishes...I'd wish for a box full of cheese" -Me being stupid LoL
if I remember correctly the smallest size UTH is made for the plastic Kritter Keeper type enclosures.
Ed

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
if I remember correctly the smallest size UTH is made for the plastic Kritter Keeper type enclosures.
Ed
That's actually the one I was looking at. The other ones said not to use on plastic, but that one didn't. I was just being careful, as I don't want to bake my Ts, or have an easy escape made for them (though I really doubt my lazy-ass smithi would get far LoL).

N.

"If you see the sun rise in your rear view mirror, you're either out way too f*cking late, or up way too f*cking early!" - Me getting ready for class at the crack of f*cking dawn...

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's actually the one I was looking at. The other ones said not to use on plastic, but that one didn't. I was just being careful, as I don't want to bake my Ts, or have an easy escape made for them (though I really doubt my lazy-ass smithi would get far LoL).

N.

Yes they are the ones I use (4x5"). I fix them to the back side of the tank.
It says on the packaging

"Habistat Mini Mat 4in.x 5in.A purpose designed heater for small plastic tanks. It is mounted on the outside of small plastic or glass containers and is extremely economical to run. At 4 watts it costs only a few pence per week to run and does not require a guard."

Chid

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just bought 2 of them, but they're 8 watts....Is that too much?

Also, I bought some big-ass mealworms, and my Pink Toe seems to like fighting with it. Are these better than cricks? They don't bite back, do they?

N.