Heating for Tailless Whip Scorpion

celinebena

Arachnopeon
Hello! This is my first time posting on here so I hope I'm doing so correctly.

I'm in the market for a tailless whip scorpion (Damon diadema). I inherited a 33 gallon fish tank (yes, thirty-three gallons, a lot bigger than I know what to do with) and I'd like to use it. However, I'm worried about being able to heat it up with so much space in the tank... I know the temperature should be a constant ~25°C. Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of a heating mat with a thermostat, but will a simple little heating mat be enough?

Thanks in advance!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
room temps are fine, unless it’s well in the lower 60s then you might need to get one. If it’s room temperature then it’s perfectly fine, a bit on the cooler side might even be better

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I’ve had pretty sizable fluctuations in temp for a couple species, Down to 60 even(at some nights, not constant), and I’ve never had any issues. I’d argue while they maybe aren’t quite as cold hardy as Ts they’re certainly close. Like others have said, your comfortable room temperature should be totally fine.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
As noted by others, the temperature does not necessarily need to be stable 25º - They'll be happy enough anywhere between 20º and 30º, and can tolerate lower for short periods. I only use extra heating when my apartment dips below 18º for a few nights in the autumn before the central heat gets turned on. That said, if the animal is stressed, sick, or has any other issues, a higher, more stable temperature will help, and feeding and growth tend to be faster in the higher end of their comfortable temperature range.

A 33 gallon tank is massive for this species. You may find that the animal has trouble locating and capturing prey in such a large enclosure unless you do something to fill most of the space. They want plenty of height for climbing, but will not typically use much horizontal space. That said, if you are clever about how you set it up, you can make this enclosure work for an adult. I'd probably modify it so it sits on an end instead of its base, but this will mean needing to build a front for it with a door in the top half and a solid wall on the bottom (so you can add a couple of inches of substrate).