Heating and whanot

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
So today at work, in my job as a megalomechanic, I was talking to one of the 'old timers' in my company about my spiders, and how I am struggling with heating the apartment at a reasonable cost (I have almost no insulation in this place) and told him I had my t's on several shelves of a sheet-metal shelf. he suggested mounting a flourescent light UNDER the shelf I want to heat, to allow the heat to rise up to the level above, simply on what the bulb generates. The more I think on this, the more it makes sense. a flourescent fixture that size might run me all of 30 bucks, and next to nothing in energy costs, think it's worth a shot?

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you know how to set it up then I dont see why it would be bad at all. I would suggest putting some spiders on the bottom shelf right above the lights that do not need so much humidity because the excess heat will dry up moisture pretty quick.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bill...

I keep my spiders at my office which is climate controlled by the landlord... never over 71 in the winter... never below 75 in the summer. The collection is in a small 2 shelf wooden cabinet, like a night stand. In the bottom of it I have a small table lamp with a 40 watt bulb. Keeps the T's above at a constant 85... I have it on a timer for two 10 hour blocks of heat with 2 hrs off time inbetween... Works dandy for me...